Intersil 80C88-2 or 80C86-2

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by cldudley, Sep 27, 2010.

1. cldudley

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Hello again board, I have a non-technical question hopefully someone can help me with.

My current project is an 8088 or 8086 computer, depending on which processor I have better luck in finding. I can source the HMOS versions as pulls from Jameco, but I would really rather get the CMOS variants. I know that Intersil still actively manufactures these devices, but I can't seem to find any source for them. Does anyone know who might carry these parts? (The DIP parts only, I will be doing wire-wrapping)

I also know that NEC made a compatible device, the V20 and V30, does anyone know of a source for these?

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    If you go to the Intersil website you can check distributor inventory. Avnet has a few but they are pricey

http://avnetexpress.avnet.com/store...com/support/distilist_stkchk.asp&term=IP80C88

Don't know if they will sell you a handful, but the link seems to imply that it is possible.

Forgive me if I question the notion that they are actively manufacturing this part. The design is more than 3 decades old and with one distributor in North America having 69 parts at a price of $32.00 USD I think this qualifies as an orphan part whose price is on the upside of the bathtub curve.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  3. cldudley

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    I am not certain they still "actively" manufacter the part, but they have it listed on the Intersil website as an "Active" design. They have many military variants, so I would assume they still roll out at least a handful of them every year.

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    It can be hard to tell what a company is doing, and what they say may be different than what they are doing. The bottom line is:

1. One distributor
    2. 69 pieces on hand
    Check back in one month and compare. If the numbers are not changing you may be able to get a handle on supply and demand. I'd be surprised if they change significantly.

5. windoze killa

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 23, 2006
    Try going direct to the intersil website and ask for samples.

6. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Find an old scrap computer yard and just pull one, they were often in sockets.

Probably a few running around on eBay as well.