Intersil 80C88-2 or 80C86-2

cldudley

Joined Oct 7, 2009
Hello again board, I have a non-technical question hopefully someone can help me with.

My current project is an 8088 or 8086 computer, depending on which processor I have better luck in finding. I can source the HMOS versions as pulls from Jameco, but I would really rather get the CMOS variants. I know that Intersil still actively manufactures these devices, but I can't seem to find any source for them. Does anyone know who might carry these parts? (The DIP parts only, I will be doing wire-wrapping)

I also know that NEC made a compatible device, the V20 and V30, does anyone know of a source for these?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If you go to the Intersil website you can check distributor inventory. Avnet has a few but they are pricey

http://avnetexpress.avnet.com/store...com/support/distilist_stkchk.asp&term=IP80C88

Don't know if they will sell you a handful, but the link seems to imply that it is possible.

Forgive me if I question the notion that they are actively manufacturing this part. The design is more than 3 decades old and with one distributor in North America having 69 parts at a price of $32.00 USD I think this qualifies as an orphan part whose price is on the upside of the bathtub curve.

Last edited:

cldudley

Joined Oct 7, 2009
I am not certain they still "actively" manufacter the part, but they have it listed on the Intersil website as an "Active" design. They have many military variants, so I would assume they still roll out at least a handful of them every year.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It can be hard to tell what a company is doing, and what they say may be different than what they are doing. The bottom line is:

1. One distributor
  2. 69 pieces on hand
Check back in one month and compare. If the numbers are not changing you may be able to get a handle on supply and demand. I'd be surprised if they change significantly.