Interpole help

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
how can interpoles permanently fixed in the stator be connected in series with the armature? The only electrical connection to the armature is through the brushes and commutator

"The correct e.m.f is achieved by passing the armature current through the coils on the interpoles,thereby making the flux from the interpoles proportional to the armature current. The interpole coils therefore consist of a few turns of thick conductor, connected permanently in series with the armature"

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
An ARMATURE is the portion of the generator from which output is obtained. It can be on the rotor OR on the stator.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
I dont understand, i thought the armature in a DC motor/generator is what rotates, and interpoles are put in place that recieve the same excitation the stator will recieve seperate from the armature excitation to aid arcing and provide a more smooth rotation with more torque, now im reading the interpoles have armature current passed through them, how can the armature be stationary? something must be rotating to provide mechanical output or generation

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Stator = stationary portion
Rotor = rotating portion

Either can be used for input or output, depending on the design.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
ooooooooooo yeah i get it now. I always had in mind the interpoles had no electrical connection to the armature but they do, ok thanks

Last edited: