Internet Immigrants

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Moderator Edit: This thread was split from here: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?p=664007#post664007

I am Tcmtech as a few people here would know me from other forums.

I work with industrial electronics on occasion including welders, plasma cutters and other higher powered electrical devices. I also do amature AE R&D plus metal fabrication and truck driving just to name a few of my skills and hobby sets. :cool:

Mostly I am just looking for a new electronics forum to hang out at when I have free time.

(The old one was wearing too thin and had been rubbing me the wrong way for a while.) :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Welcome to All About Circuits, tcmtech!
I wish you an enjoyable stay.

Make sure you read the Terms of Service of the site, as they are a bit different than your average electronics site.

The Offtopic section is for small talk and mindless chit chat. No flaming though!

Have a nice day.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Thanks!

I am not so much of a flamer but I do enjoy a good argument and debate! :D

Also being the terms and agreements section here actually spells out what is/are considered inappropriate or not allowable topics puts my views of this site in a better light already! ;)

I really hate highly vague and easily misinterpreted rules. :(

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Thanks!

I am not so much of a flamer but I do enjoy a good argument and debate! :D

Also being the terms and agreements section here actually spells out what is/are considered inappropriate or not allowable topics puts my views of this site in a better light already! ;)

I really hate highly vague and easily misinterpreted rules. :(
Welcome tcmtech!

Well said. I had moderation get on my case a few times at another forum (I'm sure you know which one) and they threatened to ban me for something that isn't mentioned once in the rules. And another time, for restating the rules that apparently the moderators disagree with. That's why I left that other forum.

Anyway, enjoy your stay here! I have found this to be a very friendly and welcoming forum with lots of good topics. As long as you avoid discussing banned topics, you'll be fine.

Regards,
Matt

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Well said. I had moderation get on my case a few times at another forum (I'm sure you know which one) and they threatened to ban me for something that isn't mentioned once in the rules. And another time, for restating the rules that apparently the moderators disagree with. That's why I left that other forum.
Yea that discussion is going on right now again. :p Ghostman11 did partial goodby letter not to long ago that is drawing debate attention. Their site rules and this sites rules have both been pulled up for question and comparison now. :D

Seems to be a bit of out migration of senior experienced members over there the last few months and you know who are trying to play it down as always. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to get tossed from here for this being off topic in a tread from the off topic area am I ? :confused:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Yea that discussion is going on right now again. :p Ghostman11 did partial goodby letter not to long ago that is drawing debate attention. Their site rules and this sites rules have both been pulled up for question and comparison now. :D

Seems to be a bit of out migration of senior experienced members over there the last few months and you know who are trying to play it down as always. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to get tossed from here for this being off topic in a tread from the off topic area am I ? :confused:
I doubt it, though it might be worth asking the moderators to move these posts to a new thread in the Off-Topic section. They're really good about that here.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is never our goal to ban anyone. We are aggressive against spammers and trolls, but we like folks asking what some might consider dumb questions. This is a learning site as well as a hobbyist / professional site.

If in doubt read our Terms of Service, as they are one practically every page as a link.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Welcome aboard TCM.

You'll find this place a little different than others.
I hope so. I hate getting tossed out for undefined reasons.

Seems I got a bit of a hornets nest stirred up again at the other place though.

They are already pulling out the stats and the what is allowed or not to compare there VS here and the other to justify things. :D

Personally I don't mind having actual defined rules written in actual text reference points for what is off limits or not.

Will this get me labeled a troublemaker here? :p

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
As much as I'd like to sit and talk gossip I think I'll play noble and suggest we stop criticizing how our neighbour is painting his fence and make sure ours doesn't have any paint strokes.

To be honest, I don't visit ETO, but I'm know AAC has its share of problems to compare.

So instead of pointing fingers, go out there and make AAC a better place!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
When I arrived here, I had no experience in any kind of forum. Lucky for me, the moderators here actually protect you from flamers.

Know which subjects are not allowed. Do not reply to banned subject matter. Use the white and red triangle in the upper right corner to notify the moderators. Even if you're wrong, the moderators won't smack your knuckles with a ruler for alerting them to something you doubted.

Other than that, dumb noobie questions, all the way up to BSEE with no practical experience happens here. No matter how smart or educated you are, somebody will be able to smoke you in some fields of experience you don't have. It certainly keeps me humble, but I don't feel unsafe.

Welcome to AAC. Lurk a bit. Learn a few things. Help when you can. The best way to stay safe is to pick your battles correctly. I don't simulate, so I don't reply to those because I'd just be guessing. Bring me an op-amp and I can probably make it work. Mistakes are allowed, just be willing to admit when you interpreted the question badly or technology improvements have pulled the rug out from under what you thought you knew.

Number Twelve

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
One other thing I have learned from AAC is how to bite your tongue and keep your mouth shut (or walk away from the keyboard).

Learn who are the true contributors to the forum. Show your respect for them. Give them your full support. And don't get into an argument with them. It's not worth spoiling the good friendships and camaraderie we created here.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Thanks guys! Good things to know.;)

I generally don't pick fights so much as I like to question people when they claim a poorly founded or unsubstantiatable opinion as a fact or worse. :D

BTW if the moderators feel any of this is taking the thread to far off track please feel free to move it. I really understand the occasional necessity of it. I don't mind purposeful relocations of sub topics that start up in threads. :)

It seems I may have hit on a chatty subject perhaps.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
tcm, FYI, there is a trick to getting your PM's. It was harder for me because I have virtually not electronic skills. Just kick off a good thread on something interesting and you'll have it in no time:) Good to see you.

Edit: I also am going to PM you on ETO. Go check it out;)

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I have nothing negative to say about any site. I've visited many sites before arriving at AAC, and there is no particular reason I can think of, except maybe posted rules, would be a reason I stopped at others. I have been back at ETO as a regular stop on my daily reading tour ... which includes four forums, two electronics and two Coast Guard. That is part of my daily routine, sometimes before email and sometimes after email.

There are microbursts of activity from me at each of the forums, depending on my mood and what "triggers" a response.

For me, the good order and discipline expressed here is a welcome change from some sites. Most have dropped their wild west days, and get some of my time. The he said - she said political discourse is one of the topics I don't worry about here. I get enough of that at military.com's CG Discussions .... the wild west.

tvtech

Joined Mar 18, 2012
Hi Guys.

Been a member here for a long time but this is my first post though...

It seems I have missed out on "life". I decided to "break away"....and I am pleasantly surprised. A breath of fresh air does wonders for the soul. There is lots of activity here. Maybe, I will feel younger again....and not be permanently grumpy :eek::eek:

Regards,
tvtech

tvtech

Joined Mar 18, 2012
As much as I'd like to sit and talk gossip I think I'll play noble and suggest we stop criticizing how our neighbour is painting his fence and make sure ours doesn't have any paint strokes.

To be honest, I don't visit ETO, but I'm know AAC has its share of problems to compare.

So instead of pointing fingers, go out there and make AAC a better place!
Hi Georacer

Moderation is a difficult job. Some folks fly with it..and others crash and burn. A balancing job of note. To keep all happy that post and still stay fair...just got here and I just had to chirp.

Regards,
tvtech

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Good lord Tvtech? You're here too?

Does ETO know about this? :p

Yea I'm sort of liking this place at the moment too.

Now I just need to decide if my GTI work is worth cleaning up and trying transfer over here as well. :eek: