Internet Connection Sharing help.

Peter_England

Joined Jun 29, 2013
I have Two Lines one is Broadband DSL 1mbps Line and other is 2Mbps line ,
and about 200 clients to share with these lines . I need freeware solution for sharing these two lines also I need auto changeover between these lines if one goes down another look after .. and also i need per user account system and blocking of some websites please suggest best solution .Thanks.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Issue 1:
Auto change over between two internet connections. I have no idea, but it sounds like specialized equipment/setup which means expansive.

Issue 2:
Blocking websites. Setup proxy server between internet and your clients. In the proxy server definitions there should be an option to setup a list of websites to block. So when client tries to connect to a website, the request goes to proxy server, proxy server checks if website is on blocked list. If website is on blocked list, the proxy server sends client to a page that says something like this: "Request Denied. Contact Network Administrator."

The rest did not make sense, so I am ignoring them.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
You want to share those small 1M and 2M lines with 200 customers?
hahahahahaha What a joke.. That's not enough bandwidth for 1 customer let alone 200..

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I agree that 3 mbps total over 200 clients is not going to be all that responsive...

But, a Linux box will do what you want. And all the software you will need is Free (both as in "Freedom" and as in "beer").

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
LOL
Why didn't you say in the first place that you don't know jack?
I've set up dozens of Linux servers, routers, and workstations, including for purposes exactly like the OP has requested. All of the info he needs is available free online, and repeated ad nauseam over hundreds, if not thousands, of sites.

Frankly, I'd be embarrassed to post a request online, on any topic, that says "tell me what to do and how to do it" without doing a simple Google search first.

But, for the benefit of the OP, I'll say this: Just about any Linux distribution already comes included with 99% of the software he needs installed, along with automated tools to set it up for him.

He may need to learn to open up a console and edit a few config scripts, but, again, the instructions are already out there and easy to find.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I've set up dozens of Linux servers, routers, and workstations, including for purposes exactly like the OP has requested. All of the info he needs is available free online, and repeated ad nauseam over hundreds, if not thousands, of sites.
This is internets, you can be anything you want to be.

Peter_England

Joined Jun 29, 2013
Thanks all I will try to search on Google actually I think someone here has some readily available solution for purpose any ways thanks again bye.