internal barrier voltage

sampinoy

Joined Sep 24, 2004
hi everybody,

i have been practicing testing several resistors, capacitors and 1N4001 silicon diode. later i found out that my multitester cant be adjusted to 0 ohms in the X1 and others, except the X10k range. is there somthing wrong with my tester? :(

my second question is what is an internal barrier voltage and how does it work.

T.Y.

Sammy

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi sam,

your multimeter 2 AA battery has probably been depleted due to you practice test of resistors and caps. everytime you you check the resistance value of a resistor you are applying current so you will have a visible reading of a meter deflection reflecting the value of the resistor you are measuring. just change those 2 batts that i mentioned. likewise with caps and diodes.

for the moment i believe that you are now wallowing in a region beyond your understanding for the moment. but i will try to explain as plainly as possible but you must be aware that the terms i will be using will only lead to so many questions unless you have already studied the semiconductor technology.

the internal barrier voltage is the repelling force exerted by the negative and positive ions to prevent the free running electrons at the N type semi and holes at the P type to combine. The IBV issometimes called junction voltage, others call it potential hill or barrier.

in semi tech the letter symbol for IBV is Vb. the ability of a semi depends on this charateristic, without this IBV the semi is quite useless.

i suggest keep on reading the books that you have now. :)