Interfacing webcam with PIC16877

jowie_510

Joined Jan 13, 2008
hello guys..
i still have problem with PIC16877 to interface with web camera. i am going to make the robot that can capture the image surrounding within the range of time. and we can download the picture from webcam to the PC by using the interface circuit . My problem is, i still have no idea to connect any pin of PIC to webcam. If someone know, please let me know..

thanks..
4ur information, i decide to using Matlab programming because it also can do image processing.

eeboy

Joined Sep 27, 2007
Where does the PIC come into this? If you are connecting a webcam to a PC to do the image processing I see no need for the PIC.

jowie_510

Joined Jan 13, 2008
hi guys..
thanks for ur concern..
actually i am trying to make autonomous robot that can capture picture using webcam and automatically save in MMC. thats y i was try to make it flexible by interface webcam with microcontroller(PIC or if hv any option it also can) . for instance, the robot move forward and take a picture mybe three times and come back. then, the picture can be download from MMC.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
As webcams tend to use USB to send the data, there is a large programming overhead associated with managing the interface. There are numbers of small CCD cameras available that simply output the picture scan with no USB overhead. You will have to know how to identify the beginning of each frame to take in a coherent picture, but something like that is mostly having enough memory to soak up all those bits.

jowie_510

Joined Jan 13, 2008
thanks beenthere..
i think using CCD also suitable, i nvr thought b4. but the problem is, i try searching the CCD circuit in google but i found nothing. please tell me where i can get the CCD cct and also how CCD connection with PIC16877a and memory card because the image capture need to be save.

thanks again..

jowie_510

Joined Jan 13, 2008
i think CCD is like a IC that extend becoming the camera. and if yes, i think it can be connected and controlled by PIC. all the features will be controlled with PIC such as capture the image. And one thing, if we use usb webcam, u said that it need more programing. can u xplain detail...

thanks..

jowie_510

Joined Jan 13, 2008
thanks for nanovate for the link about cmu camera..
actually, i try to make low cost project..
thats why, i have trying to finish my project by using webcam..
the ccd camera also suitable, but i need to know how to program this camera to take picture,turning and etc.

eeboy

Joined Sep 27, 2007
I personally have never interfaced to a CCD... but if I were to include one in a project the first thing I would do is grab a copy of the datasheet. It *should* give you all the necessary information for interfacing. From there you should be able to develop some idea of what exactly it is your firmware will need to do. So choose a CCD and start with the datasheet. After reading that you may have some more specific questions we can help with.

As beenthere has mentioned... this might be a little much for an 877 due to the resources required.

For the MMC interface I'd recommend using another IC developed specifically for this purpose (it sounds like money is valued more than time in your case). I get the impression you need to write to the MMC card so that it can be read when inserted into your PC. This is not a trivial matter. You will need to implement some variety of FAT to accomplish this. Take a look at DosOnChip or uALFAT.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
hi guys see that post it really awesome one to interface camera with pic16f877 via matlab gui .

http://www.nbcafe.in/interfacing-camera-with-pic-microcontroller-via-matlab-gui/
Hi dalexdisuja. When you see a post from years back there is little if ever need to reply to it.

Sure, read it if you can learn something, but here the posts are over 6 years old and the people involved probably have moved on. So there isn't need to comment.

But if you comment people start rereading old posts thinking there is a new problem here. That wastes time and annoys people.

Better to start another thread with your good news then to "necropost."

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
So, matlab is used just to get the GUI? I'm not sure what else it can be used for??? Could you do the same thing with other GUI builders? ie, Visual Studio?