Interfacing USB from computer with an 8051

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by BrockM, Dec 25, 2010.

1. BrockM

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Hi everyone, before I ask my question, I want you to know that I did my research already and looked almost everywhere, but I could not find explicit instructions on how to connect my Winbond 89C55 (8051 compatible from futurlec) with my computer using USB, which is why I'm asking here. I asked my professor and he recommended that I use a USB to UART converter. I eBayed and found this, and I was wondering if I could use this to connect my 8051 to my PC. http://cgi.ebay.com/Serial-Converte...389?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4151d82e65 That device has 6 pins: 3.3V, RST, TXD, RXD, GND, +5V On the 8051, I see three pins named RST, TXD, RXD. Would it work if I connect the pins on the converter to those three pins on the 8051, then connect my GND and +5V to the pins on the converter, then the USB to the computer? Thanks beforehand.

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    You need to connect like this as a minimum
    GND-GND
    TXD-RXD
    RXD-TXD
    I am not sure about the RST pin function is it a input or output pin? The RST pin on the 8051 is the reset pin.

3. BrockM

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Oh, that connection makes more sense! Thanks. The reset pin.. based on the picture on the link, it looks like an input.