Interface with the pic16f84

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by elecbeg, Oct 18, 2009.

1. elecbeg

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Hi,

I am new to pic's and through searching found the 16F84 is a good learning uC to learn to basics with.
    I have tried C programming language a few years ago and struggled, but after looking around, I found that assembly language was easier for me to understand.
    I have downloaded the MPLAB software to write the program in ( although still learning how to do that! )
    But my PC has not got a serial port on it, and I am looking for a cheap way to connect my PC to the uP through the USB?
    If you could let me know how this is possible I would appreciate it very much.
    Thanks

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    You have this device from microchip.
    http://www.microchipdirect.com/productsearch.aspx?Keywords=pg164120 This device can program almost every UC from microchip. It also have some debugging options for some of the UCs from microchip. Debugging even if it is simple is nice to have.
    A cheaper variant is the iCP01 (google it) It is a pg164120 clone that only offers programming. Both the iCP01 and pg164120 is USB based. I would recommend the pg164120. It is the best device in the long run.

3. elecbeg

Sep 7, 2009
    Thank you, the stuff I was looking at was 4 times the price of that.
    Now I can get started on making my circuits a lot smaller ( hopefully ).

One of the first things I want to do ( after learning the basics of how to make LED's flash and such ), is to make a frequency counter with this pic. If there are any usefull links or information that anyone has that could help me, that would be a big help.

Thanks.

4. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
    Look at the USB Bitwacker. Has a usb bootloader, no programmer required at all.

5. elecbeg

Sep 7, 2009
    t06afre - cheers, I got the pickit2 starter kit, comes with everything i need, even a nice chip.

Alberto - Thanks, looks like a nice easy circuit to start of with.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  6. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    So christmas come early this year:D Well i picked up the same kit some time ago. It was on sale. And had my name written all over. The whole concept is nice for the hobbyist. I have now plans to build my own "trainer" with a bigger chip/faster chip, and some extra functions. Then I just hook up the "pickit 2" and is ready (hopefully) to rock on