Interface Arduino with RC Remote to control RC Car

chris53

Joined Apr 17, 2016
I've searched but I could not find a direct answer to what I'm trying to do. Like the title says I am trying to wire an Arduino to the four buttons on the remote(attached pic) that control movement of the RC car. From what I gathered I need to use relays, but I am confused on how I am suppose to wire them to the remote and then to the Arduino. I have some 5v relays, but from what I read they might not work due to the remote not having enough current to "energize" the coils in the relays, so I may need reed relays. Any help would be most appreciated.

Attachments

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
The switches can more than likely just be replaced with a mosfet or transistor..
Relays would work just fine too. The power for the relay is coming from the arduino not the remote..
You are just using the contacts on the relay to replace the switch.. The coil side is powered by the arduino.. You will need a transistor or mosfet relay driver though as the arduino pins more than likely can't source enough current for the relay..
Something like this for each switch..
http://www.ecs.umass.edu/ece/m5/images/relay_circuit_schematic_L.jpg

chris53

Joined Apr 17, 2016
The switches can more than likely just be replaced with a mosfet or transistor..
Relays would work just fine too. The power for the relay is coming from the arduino not the remote..
You are just using the contacts on the relay to replace the switch.. The coil side is powered by the arduino.. You will need a transistor or mosfet relay driver though as the arduino pins more than likely can't source enough current for the relay..
Something like this for each switch..
http://www.ecs.umass.edu/ece/m5/images/relay_circuit_schematic_L.jpg

Sorry for responding so late and thank you for reply. The schematic for the relays really helps. I have on more question in that I am still kind of confused on the wiring to the actual pcb of the remote. I was looking up how monetary pushbuttons work and I understand them, but I am confused on how they work on the pcb board for the remote I linked in my original post. I am guessing that pushing the button allows current to flow through the trace, which signals on the chip which movement on the car to perform. So does that mean current only flows through one side of the terminals of the button? And if so how does that correspond to wiring for the Arduino?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Current flows through the switch when its down..
Now it could be that the switch is connected to ground (pull down) when activated or connected to Vin when activated (pulling high)..
Just like a switch on an arduino digital input.. Its either connecting that pin to ground or 5V.
If using a relay you don't need to worry about that.. Just wire one contact (C) (not coil) of the relay to one side of the switch and the other side of the switch to the relay contact (NC).. When the relay is energized its the same as holding the button down as the relay contacts then allow current to flow.