Interesting stuff from GE

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by wayneh, May 4, 2015.

1. wayneh

Thread Starter Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I knew that control of lighting is already a thing, but later in the article they discuss using lighting as a way to pinpoint the location of people in a store. I had no idea this was in the works. Clever.

2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    I'm guessing that each LED light has a pattern and your cell phone can differentiate which one it is near, then sends a signal back to the store (even a central server in the corporate office) that say, "I'm by the light that has this pattern, 0101110110001101001001011"

3. wayneh

Thread Starter Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Yes, that's part of what surprised me - how simple it is. You can't do it with incandescent or fluorescent lights, but it's almost trivial with LEDs.

GopherT likes this.
  4. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    And logically why do we need such an ability?o_O

5. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    So you can get that discount coupon for something you didn't intend to buy!

6. wayneh

Thread Starter Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    There's an awful lot of research going on all the time regarding optimum item placement in a store, how long people spend in each area, and on and on. Every inch matters in retail. And my local Walmart turns off its display lights when no shopper is near.

My point: Location information has many applications of value.

cmartinez likes this.
  7. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    I already have an app on my phone, which scans each item and simplifies my checkout experience to scan phone and pay balance. With smartphone payment becoming a reality, soon I'll go food shopping and walk out of the store - all paid!

But there are those days that the rare item is on the shopping list and I spend a lot of time walking up and down the aisles searching for it. Now, I am looking for coconut milk, and I say to my phone "coconut milk" and it replies "Aisle 10, halfway down, on the bottom shelves to the right. You're in Aisle 8, so its two aisles over." And as I aproach it, the phone says, "there it is. Don't miss it!" Like shopping with my significant other...

8. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Can I trade you my significant other for your phone? Right now neither my present phone or wife could find their way out of a four sided room with three walls. My phone can't identify what a room is and my wife would look right, left then forward and come to the conclusion that after three attempts there is no way out and thusly give up. :(

9. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    thats one app would would NOT want to give a woman shopping

'the phone says, 'there it is. Don't miss it! and we have a a heap of other shoes you may need to look at as you swing past the jewellery section just past the leather handbags'

10. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    My interest is Home Automation, which the article addresses. Sadly, my chosen platform is Linux, free OS, open source. I'd like to see more of the stuff working on Linux instead of Apple. I've developed much of my own stuff, but have also relied on hackers to develop cross-platform solutions. Bummer.

11. wayneh

Thread Starter Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I willing to bet that stores will offer a discount for their loyal app users. You won't be able to afford either choice!