Interesting Problem

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dan Andrews, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Dan Andrews

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but thought I would ask.
    The problem that I am having is for some unknowned reason I lose power in the back left side of my house. I have power in my hall bath however I do not have any power in the master bath or master bedroom. I do have power in both my office and our third bedroom and they are both on the right side of the house. It happens very randomly and there is no rhyme or reason for the power going out. Sometimes it will fix itself after a few hours, or it may last for days. (We are going on 24 hours now.).

I have replaced both light switches as well as the wall outlet plug and not sure what else I can do before calling in a professional. Any thoughts would be appericiated.

Dan

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    You may need to locate and check all of your GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters).

hgmjr

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Wow, that's too much power to run off one breaker. At least I assume you have a relatively modern home, with power coming through a master panel that uses circuit breakers?

Have you examined your breaker panel to see if the electrician actually labeled the circuits? Does it indicate that there are separate circuits for the M. bedroom and M. bath? If they are all on one, the the breaker of the connection at the breaker could be the problem.

Personally, I would want to pull the breaker panel cover and inspect for loose wires and such. Unless you are somewhat experienced in such things, I would not advise your doing so. All the voltage points carry lethal potential, and you have to know what is safe to touch.

Unless someone else thinks of something, you may have to call an electrician.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  4. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    I suspect you have an intermittent loose connection. My professional advise as a licensed electrician: hire a licensed electrician. We are a lot less expensive than burn unit co-pay or funeral directors.

5. Dan Andrews

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    thingmaker3,
    Quick question, how much should I expect to pay per hour for a problem of this kind? And can you suggest one or two companies. I am located in Portland as well.
    Thanks

6. blocco a spirale

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 18, 2008
    I agree with the loose, fizzing connection theory.

7. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    In this market, you may budget $40 to $75 per hour for a residential electrician. Depends on who you call.

I'll send you a private message with contact information for a contractor I recommend.