Interesting Materials to Replace Silicon

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by neos, Aug 7, 2012.

1. neos

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 7, 2012
  2. crutschow

Mar 14, 2008
    Some of those may work, but I doubt they will be widely used in the near (depending upon how you define "near") future. It generally takes ten years or more for a new technology (even if it is viable) to be refined so that it has significant use.

I remember as a kid being fascinated about all the new amazing developments in science and technology reported in such magazines as Popular Science. I was quite few years older, after I never again heard about most of those things, that I realized that most of them, though appearing to be significant, where actually not practical or useful, and thus never used anywhere.
  3. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    A lot is kicked around of the two major methods of "growing " silicon crystals, and how chips constructed on single-crystal are so much better.
    If so, I'm sure that circuit chip mfgrs would like to improve the methods of growing single crystals.
    I wouldn't mind paying a premium for a virtually certified to work circuit made on continent, than some of the second rate reverse-engineered Bullmanure coming out of China, when in the case of a bad run of circuits, we have a grand total of NIL recourse with their mfgrs.

OK...........I'm an idealist.....what's your point ?? Sometimes I think we are spoiled to artificially "cheap" products, and need to rediscover quality.