Intel introduces the Intel Edison

Discussion in 'General Science' started by bertus, Jan 7, 2014.

1. bertus

Thread Starter Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  2. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Very interesting! But why "Edison"?? :eek:

3. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Interesting, wonder what it costs?

4. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    To me it seems almost pointless. How does it interface with the outside world? Via wifi and bluetooth only? Most devices that it is capable of interfacing with; devices that also have wifi and bluetooth capabilities, are themselves also programmable devices. So why get this Edison device in the mix? Can it interface with sensor? I doubt it; it would need some kind of pluggable (plug-into-able) base unit with terminals for wires, which would be as big or bigger than raspberry pi/arduino/beaglebone. So what's the point? Congrats Intel on making, not the world's smallest, but a pretty small computer. Now, let it fade into obscurity.

5. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    GPIO, UART, I2C, SPI and PWM, as well as WiFi and blue tooth.

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    It will be fun to watch. Intel has had a bad streak lately on cost affordable innovative products, maybe someone inside the company is trying to shake things up.

7. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Oh I don't know, assuming it has standard SD Card connectors, scatter a few around a some office car parks and wait for the passwords/credit cars numbers to some rolling in :)

8. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Intel's problem is declining processor sales and margins. They are hugely invested in processors, but the industry is moving towards SOC's and communications processors, and Intel is late to the party. Also, Intel has a huge netowrk of fabs and needs to do something to keep them running product. They have to find a way to move into the new IC markets, but face huge challenges.