Integrated Starter Generator Study Material

Muhammad Musab Farooq

Joined Jul 28, 2016
I have to give presentation on Integrated Starter Generator in my Electrical Machines course. I could not find good material from internet. Can anyone recommend me some books or some articles about Integrated Starter Generator.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Starter / Generator as used with aircraft, lawnmowers or just starter generators in general with no application in mind? Your best option would be a call or contact with a company involved in the development of ISG.

The Integrated Starter Generator (ISG) replaces the conventional starter, generator and flywheel of the engine and provides an auxiliary function as a convenient automatic vehicle start-stop system for further improved fuel efficiency......
My only experience with them was over 30 years ago and their use with aircraft systems, primarily turbo jet types. They are really pretty specialized devices, recently I have seen them used on riding lawnmowers.

Ron

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
My friends grandfather had an old Cub Cadet mower that had a starter/generator. In that case I believe it was basically just a DC motor. Give it power and it spins the engine. Once the engine is running, the starter/generator generates electricity. It was connected with a belt, just like an alternator in today's cars.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Are you sure he isn't referring to a Starter/alternator? Some hybrid cars are using them. They are in the ones that shut off when stopped at a traffic light ans then start the motor when the brake is released and throttle pushed down again. The alternator is used as a BLDC motor to start the engine and an alternator when running.

"Hybrid automobiles replace the separate alternator and starter motor with one or more combined motor/generator(s) (M/Gs) that start the internal combustion engine, provide some or all of the mechanical power to the wheels, and charge a large storage battery. When more than one M/G is present, as in the Hybrid Synergy Drive used in the Toyota Prius and others, one may operate as a generator and feed the other as a motor, providing an electromechanical path for some of the engine power to flow to the wheels. These motor/generators have considerably more powerful electronic devices for their control than the automotive alternator described above." From, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternator_(automotive)

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My friends grandfather had an old Cub Cadet mower that had a starter/generator. In that case I believe it was basically just a DC motor. Give it power and it spins the engine. Once the engine is running, the starter/generator generates electricity. It was connected with a belt, just like an alternator in today's cars.
The Cub Cadet is actually a good example. When I was a kid I had a fascination with automobile generators, yes, I mean generators before the marvel of the alternator. Then too, when I was a kid cars for the most part had 6 Volt systems and car radios had vacuum tubes or valves for my friends across the pond.. My big discovery playing with junk yard generators was that they really were a motor. Apply power and they rotated backwards but yeah, they were a motor. It was then I decided that if I coupled two of them using a twisted belt the one acting as a motor could drive the other acting as a generator. Sounded good to my ten year old mind at the time. :)

Ron

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It would need to be one of the current P.M. starters to act as a generator, the older series field motor would not generate.
Look up brushed DC motors, if a BLDC is used it requires a 3 phase rectifier.
Both the DC and BLDC motors will generate when back driven.
Max.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Google Bosch Dynastart, these were a Generator / starter belt driven on single & twin cylinder Volvo marine diesels many years ago.