insurance ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Another question is why would anybody want more then the minimal amount of auto insurance coverage. If the min takes care of property and other peoples medical wouldn't your medical insurance cover you.

What I am getting at is seems to me like you would be paying 2 medical insurance bills one partly from auto the other your medical insurance.

So why would you want to pay for more coverage on yourself on your auto insurance if you can just do it with your medical. I understand maybe increasing the property or other peoples bodily harm (if you wanted to be extra careful or where an unsafe driver) but your bodily harm shouldn't that be taken care of by your medical insurance...

Seems to me the insurance agencies are screwing you 2 times for coverage for your health/bodily harm?
Shouldn't your health coverage be just lumped into the health/medical insurance policy MAKE SINCE TO ME
Its either auto or health not both... if the insurance agency want to make it both they should have a health policy that also allows all the coverage the other way or the ability to just add car injuries to there medical insurance plans as well.
Make logical sense to me.

Medical/health insurance should insure to the best of the ability your health/medical needs
NOT INSURE YOUR HEALTH AND MEDICAL NEED "OTHER THEN IF YOU ARE IN A VECHILE"

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Another question is why would anybody want more then the minimal amount of auto insurance coverage. If the min takes care of property and other peoples medical wouldn't your medical insurance cover you.
Simple. Say you buy the minimum insurance for bodily injury and, in your state, it's $15,000/person and $25,000/accident. You hit a car with four people in it and send all four to the hospital and each person has a $20,000 hospital bill (my wife had a minor accident a couple years ago and spent one night in the hospital and the total bill ended up at over $32,000). So after your insurance maxes out at the $25,,000 limit, guess how gets to pay the other $55,000?

What I am getting at is seems to me like you would be paying 2 medical insurance bills one partly from auto the other your medical insurance.
You liability insurance only covers injuries to OTHER people. Your health insurance only covers injuries to YOU (and anyone else specifically named in the policy).

So why would you want to pay for more coverage on yourself on your auto insurance if you can just do it with your medical. I understand maybe increasing the property or other peoples bodily harm (if you wanted to be extra careful or where an unsafe driver) but your bodily harm shouldn't that be taken care of by your medical insurance...
[/QUOTE]

In most states you are not required to have medical coverage on your self as part of your auto policy. We found out why you want to carry the extra coverage in that same accident I referred to earlier. Our auto policy had $5000 of medical coverage with no deductible. Had we waived it it would have saved us about $5/month. Had we increased it to $50,000 it would have cost us less than an extra $8/mo. Our health insurance, which cost $600/mo, had a $10,000 deductible. So everything from $5,000 to $15,000 was out of our pocket and everything over that was covered by the health insurance. As it turned out, the health insurance carrier had a contract with the hospital that reduced that $32,000 down to about $8000, so we ended up paying about $3000 out of pocket. Had we had the additional coverage, it would not have cost us a dime. We have the extra coverage now!

Because health insurance is so broad and with such large limits, it is very expensive to carry a low deductible, particularly since having a low deductible encourages people to abuse it. But medical insurance as part of an auto policy is very narrow, has relatively low limits, and is not something that people can easily abuse. So getting significant coverage with no deductible for a very small premium is very easy. But it only does you any good if it actually covers the total cost because otherwise you are left to pay your health insurance deductible anyway.

Seems to me the insurance agencies are screwing you 2 times for coverage for your health/bodily harm?
Shouldn't your health coverage be just lumped into the health/medical insurance policy MAKE SINCE TO ME
Different types of insurance entirely. You do NOT want to lump them together. Now, would it be possible to craft a policy that covers both types of loss with rules that allow for the distinction between them. Sure. Maybe someone even does it.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
A lot of the outfits you named are self insured, good luck trying to collect.

A different ball game ,that why people take another cruise. Ride your bike

and let a guy that's had one beer hit you ,you get every thing he has.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
O thanks for the clarification my miss understanding.
Never really looked carefully enough at the policy just know I needed to have it. And was told I should get this policy.

Thanks now I have a little bit more understanding
Though most policies for insurance I find difficult to read WTF they should make them easy to read