instead of optocoupler?

erikssonidingle

Joined Nov 29, 2012
I have a curcuit board on which an optocoupler exploded, my fault.
I need to replace it.
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data.../CPC1943GS.pdf
But I would like to replace it with something that will perform the same but take more punishment if possible.
I live in sweden and no swedish electronics shops seem to be able to sell me one of theese, what can I replace it with?
I dont see that it need to be a photoelectric component, but it helps if it has six legs that I can solder back into the holes in the circuitboard.
I am totally alien to electronics and have no clue where to start.
Help greatly appreciated.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you need isolation for an AC circuit, then there's not a ready substitute for an optocoupler. Such circuits can be built with a transformer but they are more complicated and bulky. So I suggest you replace it with an identical device and add protection (fuse etc.) to prevent blowing it again.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It depends on where the optocoupler is installed and the reason for using one.
One of the first circuits I built as a youngster was a darkroom timer that used 7400 series TTL logic to turn on the lamp in the photo enlarger. I simply used an LED shining on top of an LDR (light dependent resistor) to trigger a triac.

erikssonidingle

Joined Nov 29, 2012
I dont know whi it is an optocoupler. I dont think it has to be an optocoupler, probably the designer liked them and used one by default.
Would a photograph of the circuit board be of any help?
I will be happy to post one if u think so.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
That relay might have gone bad and somehow mains voltage has got to the coil (optoisolator side). If that's the case, the optoisolator has saved whatever the board was connected to, although I don't think they are designed to take that kind of punishment so a bit of luck was involved.
Check if there is continuity from the relay coil to the live side.