Installing Windows 7 on Ubuntu 14.04

pujulde

Joined Jul 24, 2013
I have a notebook of Aspire E1-510 where the default OS is Ubuntu 14.04. I was asked for installing windows 7 but when I entered in BIOS and make changes in boot sequence pointing to boot from CD/DVD rom it did nothing. I tried to do a lot of things but could not get the result. Can anybody give me some advice about what to do or where to find information. Bios version is v2.05 and it has only UEFI mode, as I understand it is necessary to switch on CSM from UEFI, but there is not that mode. When I asked about information many users say there is a google and you can find anything you want. I know that and I tried to find helpful source but could not. I need help, thanks in advance.

pujulde

Joined Jul 24, 2013
I enabled F12 but there is no option like USB There is only chose Ubuntu and chose network. What a terrible situation, but there might exist the solution. Thanks Shteii01 for help, I watched that video earlier and as I said it did not help me.

stormbay

Joined Dec 25, 2014
You need to download grub or super grub to adjust your boot sequence in Linux and if you put windows on your computer it overwrite Ubuntu.

The best way to do it if you want to keep Ubuntu, is to load windows first then Ubuntu and it will set up a dual boot for you, partition your drive and keep windows.

Is your version on Ubuntu the latest, or an older one. I'd have a look at linux mint and the latest Ubuntu before doing anything if you intend keeping linux and use a light version of linux for your Aspire. Otherwise just load windows and leave it at that.

I have a very old aspire laptop with 250 RAM and run puppy linux on it very happily. Puppy is also extremely good for working on your system, as it runs in RAM and doesn't have to be loaded. From there you can fix your system, adjust your partitions, boot loader and install whatever you want.

Why anyone would want to use windows after using linux is beyond me, linux is light years ahead of windows and apple in every way. Safe, reliable, free and truck loads of excellent software, which is used by the top scientific and multimedia organisations on the planet, plus NASA for off planet systems. Window has swiss cheese security, never ending operation problems and expensive always hand in pocket junk software.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Why anyone would want to use windows...
You're new here, so I might as well tell you: many of the members here are beholden to Redmond, for whatever reason. You won't get very far trying to convince them Windows is not the end all and be all of operating systems, and I am sure there will be some replies with comments such as how hard Linux is or how Windows is so much better.

Me, I've been running Linux on all my laptops, desktops, and servers for the past 15 years. I am lost when I have to use a Windows computer -- and the only time that is is when a friend/associate requires me to remove malware from their PC.

I've converted most of my friends to Linux over the years (including little old ladies). They thank me every chance they get.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
...Is your version on Ubuntu the latest, or an older one..
He said in his original post Ubuntu 14.04. This is the latest long term release, and I would suggest he keep it at least until the next LTS. They've shortened the support life on the non-LTS releases to, I think, 9 months (LTS is 5 years, IIRC). Unless you are a real hacker, jumping on the upgrade wheel gets annoying after a while.

stormbay

Joined Dec 25, 2014
Just change to mint 17.1 from 14, mint 17.1 is LTS until 2019 and the difference is dramatic. I also use Ubuntu studio and they have just introduced upgrading rather than full re-install. Worked well on my ASUS laptop and am about to load it into my main PC. Been using linux off and on since 1998 and fully change in 2004 when graphics started to become usable for working multimedia. Now can create promotions and music videos in the same class as the top studios on the planet, includingg animation and CGG

I also have times when have to use windows 8.1 and have tried out Win10. Must say it's the most annoying time there is because it so crappy, slow, buggy and last century junk. When a friend priced the cost of compatible software I use for windows, they were presented with a bill of over $5000, pus ongoing support and upgrade costs. That person learnt to use linux in 10 minutes, dual boots Ubuntu studio and win8.1. They tell my they are are very close to dumping windows altogether once they have the Gimp fully sorted.

But understand clones are blindly locked into any form of spin, so expect to get the associated denials when the worldwide facts prove linux as decades ahead of wind/apple last century junk. But not prepared to argue about it, no need, when you have the best safest and most stable easy to use computing systems on the planet.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
Why anyone would want to use windows after using linux is beyond me...
isn't it obvious? there are scores of people who don't share your opinion or they do but have no choice. I don't care about OS as long as my applications run. I don't care what fuel my car runs on as long as it takes me where I want to. I don't care if FedEx or UPS truck delivers my goods as long as they get there...

I don't see why would anyone be so attached to something like OS, car model, what celebrities do or say etc. and yet there are people that spend most of their lives by obsessing about things that I don't find important... people are different and have different interests - that works for me, don't need to overanalyze it...

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
I have a notebook of Aspire E1-510 where the default OS is Ubuntu 14.04. I was asked for installing windows 7 but when I entered in BIOS and make changes in boot sequence pointing to boot from CD/DVD rom it did nothing. I tried to do a lot of things but could not get the result. Can anybody give me some advice about what to do or where to find information. Bios version is v2.05 and it has only UEFI mode, as I understand it is necessary to switch on CSM from UEFI, but there is not that mode. When I asked about information many users say there is a google and you can find anything you want. I know that and I tried to find helpful source but could not. I need help, thanks in advance.
If I were you i would install win 7 over Ubuntu and then install Ubuntu, at boot up it will give you the choice to boot to win7 or Ubuntu,this way if you do not choose which OPS at boot scream it will boot strait to Ubuntu,this is the way i have installed winXp and Ubuntu on one of my old machines

pujulde

Joined Jul 24, 2013
If I were you i would install win 7 over Ubuntu and then install Ubuntu, at boot up it will give you the choice to boot to win7 or Ubuntu,this way if you do not choose which OPS at boot scream it will boot strait to Ubuntu,this is the way i have installed winXp and Ubuntu on one of my old machines
I had the same on my PC. I used wubi.exe and have options which OS to boot, very convenient. But I said that PC is my friends and the problem is that I could not install Windows 7 there.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
I had the same on my PC. I used wubi.exe and have options which OS to boot, very convenient. But I said that PC is my friends and the problem is that I could not install Windows 7 there.
You say you used wubi.exe! i did not use nothing just installed win and then installed ubuntu, don't know why you have to use wubi.exe!

stormbay

Joined Dec 25, 2014
But what is the difference between that wubi.exe and Ubuntu OS?
Wubi.exe is a windows program designed to install Ubuntu, Ubuntu is an operating system and you don't need anything to use, explore, intstall ubuntu or just about any linux distro. Plus wubi is last decade technology and linux has moved on from that, unlke windows which is still stuck in last century code and approach.

pujulde

Joined Jul 24, 2013
Wubi.exe is a windows program designed to install Ubuntu, Ubuntu is an operating system and you don't need anything to use, explore, intstall ubuntu or just about any linux distro. Plus wubi is last decade technology and linux has moved on from that, unlke windows which is still stuck in last century code and approach.
I wanted to ask if I can use all possibilities of Ubuntu using wubi.exe. I think since Ubuntu booted into PC it's fully functional in spite of that it's installed by wubi.exe. Am I write?

stormbay

Joined Dec 25, 2014
I wanted to ask if I can use all possibilities of Ubuntu using wubi.exe. I think since Ubuntu booted into PC it's fully functional in spite of that it's installed by wubi.exe. Am I write?

Don't know, all the dual boots I've installed have been using a live Linux dvd, or usb stick. Have fixed a few when they have used wubi, windows seems to corrupt the installation process sometimes, so it's much easier and safer to install from a a live distro and then you have grub or another open source boot loader, which is light years ahead of Microsoft orientated booters.

Wubi also sends your installation and usage details to microsoft, so they know how often you use linux. Have seen times when windows crashes and brings down the linux partition with it. You don't get that with a full linux install. Then there is update problems because microsoft is in control with wubi boot sequence, sometimes updates when you need a restart are corrupted and the system fails, that's a microsoft problem.

Had people tell me that's proof of linux not being any good, but the facts are, it's windows wubi that's the problem, not linux. A lot of problems people face with linux is they think it is windows and so expect to struggle with their system, when it can be learnt within 5 minutes and from there it's easy street, unless you want to get into terminal work..

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
I've converted most of my friends to Linux over the years (including little old ladies). They thank me every chance they get.
Actually, little old ladies take to Linux like ducks to water - because they don't have any prior expectations. They don't know anything about Windows (or other OS'es) and it just works!

I always quote this. Like all the best funny stories it is more true than you think!

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
If it did not boot from the CD/DVD ROM (the Win 7 installation disk), check whether the Win 7 installation disk boots up ok in another computer.

You can install Win 7 after installing Ubuntu. You will have to restore the "grub". No problem. There are simple ways to do it.

Your problem seems to be that you are unable to boot from the Win 7 disk.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
@joeyd999: I have Fedora installed alongside Windows on two PCs, and find it to be more difficult to use (and buggy, but I can live with that) than Windows. The Gnome Software app (which I don't like) doesn't seem to download all of the available updates, so I have to do it manually from the command line ("su -c 'yum update'") and enter the root password every time. Is there something that makes updating easy for any computer user that your friends are using? If so, I'd appreciate knowing what it is.
(Another issue I have with updating in Linux: So much bandwidth is used to download updates that I can often hardly browse the web simultaneously.)

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I haven't used Fedora for years, though I've some experience with CentOS...but only with manual updates.

The friends I've converted were to Ubuntu. The Ubuntu updates are seamless and ridiculously easy. In fact, you have 3 choices upon installation: manual download and install, automatic download and manual install, and automatic download and install. I choose the second option for my installations, and the third for my not-so-knowledgeable friends. They've never had a problem with updates.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
PS --> for a long time now I have preferred Debian style package managers to Red Hat. Probably just because I have more experience with them.

But, I started with Red Hat Linux many eons ago. In the end, Debian just seems to suit me. Others will have different opinions, which is OK.