installing windows 2k server on 1 disk of 4

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by electronis whiz, Mar 26, 2012.

1. electronis whiz

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    i'm going to get an old server from a friend. it has 4 scsi hard drives. what i want to do is use 1 for the OS and the rest for storage in a raid setup. i have installed windows server 2000 and 08 many times. my question is when i setup 2000 how can i select one disk? can i select a size <= the disk to use then partition the rest after or would it default to a form of raid? i beleve in 08 you can select disks but not sure about 2000. i may have to use a boot disk then use diskpart to set it up then install. else just pull the other drives and install them later after install is done.

i know a bit about scsi but this will be my first time actilly working with it.
    i was thinking pulling the drives might work but thought since scsi uses scsi IDs on the divices this may not work onless i changed the IDs.
    if im correct the scsi ids must be uniqe on that partivular bus. but not suer wether they need to be contiguous E.G. 0,1,2,3 or wether it can go somthing like 0,3,5,8. doing this up to 8 or 16 depending on the bit of the bus. and termination or the busses.

this is an older sysem, its a unisys aquanta ES with 1 GB of ram and 2 PIII xeons @500MHZ per. based on what i read most servers used HVD type scsi. but not sure. is there any way to determe speed of the buss and the type of scsi used? (just sort of curios about this since this is going to be my first experiance with scsi and documentation is not availible for this model.)

thanks in advance for any advice.

2. panic mode

Oct 10, 2011
    i used raid only few times (and wasn't impressed, they seam to fail way more often than individual drives). from what i know, you don't do raid configuration during os install. you do that before using separate utility or program (could be on disk or integrated into bios, SCSI controller should be separate card so utility to setup RAID is not in the BIOS). once the drives are set, you treat them like normal drives to setup partitions, install OS etc.

3. electronis whiz

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    thanks i tryed it and it actily alows the disk to be selected. i was just going to setup raid or how ever i dicide to use the others through the disk managment MMC. this is my first time with raid but i think you may be right about that because at least striped ones are fast but because of this the actuator arms could become worn out. i think i was just going to do a spaned aray witch is not realy a raid. and there used in order when one fills the next one fills.