Installing Linux from a Live CD

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I have a live Ubuntu DVD supplied with the book "Linux for Dummies" On page 42 of the book, it states:

"There are two ways you can install Linux from the DVD-ROM included wiht this book:

Copy the Ubuntu LiveCD ISO image form the DVD-ROM, burn it to CDs, and then boot from the CDs to install Fedora.

...."

But if I have a perfectly good bootable live DVD, why should I have to burn it to CD to install it? Why can't I just install from the DVD? The book doesn't explain this, and googling hasn't provided the answer.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I believe the live CD only contains information about moving the OS into RAM as far as the computer understands. It sees a bootable device and boots from it. Burning the CD makes a non-bootable drive, do runs the installer.
At least that its my understanding.

Please inform which version of Ubuntu Live CD/DVD you're using.
With recent version, once you boot up from Live DVD/CD, you'll be asked if you want to 'Try Ubuntu' or 'Install Ubuntu'. Just hit install, and the installer will start up.
Depending on your hardware and network connection, it might be better to download a 'mini.iso', copy it to a usb-pen drive and then boot up from pen drive and install via network. This gives you better control of what to install, and will leave you with a less bulky installation.

No matter what Ubuntu Live CD/DVD version you are using, I do not believe an Ubuntu CD will let you install Fedora:

Quote:
Copy the Ubuntu LiveCD ISO image form the DVD-ROM, burn it to CDs, and then boot from the CDs to install Fedora.
Unquote

You'll need a Fedora CD/DVD to do that :)

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
No matter what Ubuntu Live CD/DVD version you are using, I do not believe an Ubuntu CD will let you install Fedora:

Quote:
Unquote
That should have said "... to install Ubuntu..."

Please inform which version of Ubuntu Live CD/DVD you're using.
The book says "ubuntu 9.04-desktop-i386.iso"

Depending on your hardware and network connection, it might be better to download a 'mini.iso', copy it to a usb-pen drive and then boot up from pen drive and install via network.
What do you mean by "via network?"

Last edited:
By installing from network I mean you can download the minimal 'mini.iso' image from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD . This will install the base system, and if you are connected to the internet, you can download all the needed extra packages/software from Ubuntu repositories online.That will also give you a much newer Ubuntu version.

Will highly recommed to grab a newer version of the internet, as Ubuntu 9.04 is no longer supported with security updates etc.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Hi, thanks for your input. It's harder than you'd think finding someone who know Linux. Anyway, I will be getting back to this. I have like 3 different needs for Linux right now, and lots of questions.