installing interlock connectors?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Mathematics!, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Ok , I have these power connectors radioshack 274-224 and 274-236 parts. They look exactly like the ones on my computers power supply.

What I want to know is I saw a pin extractor for these types of connectors but I saw no inserter?

What I want to know is do you crimp the wires on the pins then just push them into the connector or do you push the pins into the connector first and then put the wires in? Seems like the former method but is their any special tools you need for this.

Note I don't want the wires to accidentally slip out. Since this is a connector for a hardwired firealarm , it would be dangerous if the 120 hot wire split out of the connector!

I know for the sub-D serial , parallel port connectors they have an inserter/extractor all in one for these type of connectors. But for power connectors maybe you only need the extractor and something to crimp the wire on to the pins but not to push them in firmly?

Thanks for any help on the installation of wire with these connectors.
  2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Typically with connector types like that you first crimp the pin to the wire then simply press the crimped terminal into the connector housing and your done.
  3. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    Look carefully at the pins and you should see small tabs that are protruding out from the main body. These tabs fold back as the pin is inserted into the connector body and then spring out as they pass a ridge that is molded into the body. The extractor goes over the pin and folds the tabs back so the pin can be pulled back out.
  4. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Ok , cool no need for a power connector inserters only an extractor.
    That makes it simple. I do see those little metal edges on the sides of the metal pins. Curious though where you should crimp on those metal terminals with the wire don't want to bend the the things that are holding it in to the connector at the bottom.

Maybe I should just crimp above those little edges.

5. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009

There should be at least 2 separate sets of crimp tabs on the pin, usually the first tabs at the end of the pin get crimped onto the insulated part of the wire and the second set of tabs get crimped onto the bare conductors... dabbing some solder after crimping solidifies the bond even more, so the wires do not pull out of the pin if inadvertently pulled on....

My .02
  6. rjenkins

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 6, 2005
    Unless you use *exactly* the tool the manufacturer states, forget trying to crimp them.

A connection is only properly crimped if the tool applies enough force to make the copper flow - the cimp section and wire should actually extrude from the tool slightly. At that pressure, a true cold weld is formed.

With any less force, the joint will eventially fail.

Without the proper tool, just fold the tabs over the wire using small pliers then solder the joint, as BMorse advises.

Fold the strain relief tabs over the insulation after the solder joint has cooled so the insulation does not melt out from the heat of soldering.