Install Ububtu as Main OS

ep.hobbyiest

Joined Aug 26, 2014
I want to install ubuntu as main os instead of virtual machine. I have install Windows 7 but i want to dual boot my PC with Ubuntu also. I have partitioned one Drive also of 21 Gb i think it is ok for ubuntu.
I am facing problem while installing using USB.
how can i install ubuntu?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You can install a linux when the USB stick is bootable and the PC supports booting from an USB device.

Bertus

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I couldn't install Linux from a USB on my system. Some new bios, especially the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI), do not support booting from USB. I had to use a DVD instead. Look and see what your motherboard uses for BIOS, and try using a DVD.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
use the one-time boot menu hot-key specific to your motherboard, you don't have to change the main BIOS default boot order.
  • Asus - F8
  • HP/Compaq - Esc
  • Sony - F2
  • Acer – F12
  • Gateway - F10
  • eMachnes - F10
  • Gigabyte – F12
  • Toshiba - F12
  • Dell - F12
  • IBM/Lenovo - the blue Thinkvantage button

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I had partitioned a disk but it is unreserved mean just make partition but not mounted and not assign Hard disk letter.
Can't help you with your boot issue, but 1 partition will not be sufficient. You will need at least 2 (one root partition, and one swap partition). Just delete the partition from the partition table and let the installer, once you get it running, take care of things.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
The Linux distros I have tried will find an empty or unformatted partition and repartition and reformat it as required, creating more than one usually makes things more complicated. Maybe the USB image isn't meant as an installer, but as a run from flash system. If you can use the live DVD it will probably go smoother. Usually when the DVD boots it gives options to try without installing, or install.