Install battery in Gameboy Color.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by corl45, May 9, 2012.

1. corl45

Thread Starter New Member

May 8, 2012
    So I am in the process of applying various mods to my Gameboy Color, one of which will be replacing the changeable AA batteries with a rechargeable battery. The battery I plan to use in a battery from a old phone (Samsung Seek) it's 3.7V and 1300mAh. I read somewhere that the battery from a GBA SP works great, and it's 3.6V and 700mAh so I figured it should work. Now, assuming this battery works, how would I go about attaching it to the Gameboy in a way that I can charge the battery AND play the Gameboy when it's plugged in (or just charge battery when it's off). Would I just have to run power to the GBC then to the battery? I just wanted to make sure and to double check before I do anything, cause I love my Gameboy, haha.

The charger for the phone battery runs these specs:
    4.5v-9.5v
    800mA max

I read both of these articles, as well, I just want to be sure.
    http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=46741
    http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=67530

Thanks in advance!

-Corl45

2. corl45

May 8, 2012
    1 selfish bump before I let this thread die =(

Though if there isn't a way to charge and play (or a very viable way) would it be possible just to make a switch? that switches wires from the wall-in power to the power on the Gameboy?

3. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    You are talking about using a dangerous Lithium battery that will catch on fire or explode if it is not charged and discharged properly.

You are also talking about using a phone's "charger" that is not a charger, it is a simple unregulated power supply. The complicated charging circuit is inside the phone and must be used to avoid a fire (lithium burns very hot and is difficult to extinguish).

4. vpoko

Jan 5, 2012
    Why not just use some rechargeable AA batteries?

5. corl45

May 8, 2012