Inspirational Books

Pulling Your Own Strings : By Dr. Wayne Dyer

Your Erroneous Zones : By Dr. Wayne Dyer

You Can Negotiate Anything : By Herb Cohen.

The Guitar Case Chord Book : By Peter Pickow

A Fish Hatchery Manual for Africa : By Graham Haylor and James Muir

Boeing 767/757 Simulator and Checkride Manual : By Captain Mike Ray

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
My first wife and I were advised to go to a counselor who recommended us both reading Dr Wayne Dyer, according to him (W.D.) it was all my fault! :rolleyes:
Max.:)

Last edited:
I found that Dr. Wayne Dyer's books simplified my life considerably. Previous to reading them, I lived with a self-imposed compulsion to explain myself to others, and to seek approval for decisions I took and opinions I held.

Finding out that I had burdened myself with a lot of counter-productive guilt and worry really was the key to removing a burden of stress that I could have done without all along. I would recommend Dr. Dyer's books as required reading to anyone who finds themselves boxed into a corner.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I totally agree- some is a bit cheesy but its great. His other stuff I didn't like as much.
Not sure about of the actual meaning of "cheesy" but found that book actually inspirational. Spiritual concepts are not easy to express that not sound "cheesy", maybe.

I have the feeling that the "great" words, that is, those that allude to really important things, like honor, love, ethics, loyalty, should not be used much in life, IF AT ALL. I feel particular mistrust (not sure this being the right word) when listening people using them, like politicians and government officers.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
This two, very recently:

Memoires d'Adrien - Margerite Yourcenar. One week ago.
I, Claudius - Robert Graves. Finished yesterday.

Currently re reading Gates of fire - Steven Pressfield, about the 300 Spartans fighting in the pass of Termopylae. Impressive.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
The Lucifer Principle

This one put the whole idea of 'evil' into a new perspective for me. Very persuasive arguments are presented that what we call evil is mostly just survival strategies at work in a macro form.

More info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lucifer_Principle

And as for Sci-fi. After tearing through everything Heinlein ever made I discovered Niven, then Pournelle. Phillip Jose Farmers - River World series was great as well.

If you can find any of them at a bookstore! The Stainless Steel Rat series is wonderful storytelling by Harry Harrison. Slippery Jim D'griz is a gloriously gifted ex-agent of crime turned do gooder...but not TOO good. :)

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
The Lucifer Principle

This one put the whole idea of 'evil' into a new perspective for me. Very persuasive arguments are presented that what we call evil is mostly just survival strategies at work in a macro form.

More info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lucifer_Principle
Here's a quote from the wiki.

"The book proposes as the mechanism for human cultural development the selection of specific psychological traits in a given population to support the culture it develops, as well as some universal traits supportive of the humans' nature as a social animal, necessary for the formation and maintenance of social groups instinctively formed by humans, and of cultures developed by these societies, through propagation and replication of memes."

Sounds a lot like eugenics to me...or rather "eumemics," which I hereby lay claim to the coining of.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo .( Deutsch) We Children of Bahnhof Zoo(English). Dýragarðsbörnin (Íslenska). By Christiane F.

Read it for the first time when I was 13 years old and have read it about 15-20 times since.

Never tried heroin and ain't starting tonight. :|