Inserting vs attaching images in posts

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by David Bridgen, Dec 4, 2007.

1. David Bridgen

Thread Starter Senior Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Above the message concocting window one is presented with the options to "Insert Link" and "Insert Image".

I elected the latter in a post on the "Your Workbench" thread. It appears as a hyperlink.

What is the difference, then, between the two options?

2. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
  3. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Hi David,

The difference relates to the way the images are previewed. A link is just that a link, whereas an image will give a thumbnail (if I could find the option to enable it properly - it works if you aren't logged in, go figure!). In thingmaker3's example they look the same because of the forum settings - I really should play around with this to get it to work right.

Lol!! Gimme-gimme-gimme! :D

Have we finally been able to put a face to the name? :cool:

Dave

4. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    Only if you add a decade of graying...

It might be good to point out the paper-clip which lets us upload attachments from hard-drive. A jpg or gif attachment will show up as an image in the post. I suspect other formats might as well. Bitmaps don't.

5. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    *Gets out Photoshop!* :D

I will add one further method: On the Reply to Topic screen (accessed from the Post Reply button on the forums), scroll down to Additional Options section and click the Manage Attachments button - this will launch a new window from where you can add files (including most image types) to the bottom of your post.

As can be seen, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Dave

6. David Bridgen

Thread Starter Senior Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Hmmm, okay thank you both.