Inrush current

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by universboy, Jan 27, 2005.

1. universboy

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Hi,

I have a problem. I2m using toroidal transformer, but when I switched on,
    it blows fuses 25A, How can I eliminate the inrush current?

Best Regards.

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Hi,

I'd start by looking for a wiring problem or a shorted primary in the transformer. That's a lot of current draw.

If all is well, look for inrush current limiters. I'm using one on my big stereo amp, so it just turns on now - it used to dim the room lights. If the problem is only at turn on, though, consider a slo-blow fuse.

3. universboy

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    There is no wiring problem , all the problem is inrush current. can you send me part number or name or circuit for inrush current limiter?

Best Regards.

I'd start by looking for a wiring problem or a shorted primary in the transformer. That's a lot of current draw.

If all is well, look for inrush current limiters. I'm using one on my big stereo amp, so it just turns on now - it used to dim the room lights. If the problem is only at turn on, though, consider a slo-blow fuse.
    [post=4853]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/quote]

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Hi,

I don't have enough data to make any guesses, but check out Panasonic's line of ZNR transient surge absorbers. Get some data and application sheets to make a selection. Digi-Key carries a couple of pages of them in their catalog (digikey.com).

5. Brandon

Dec 14, 2004
    Whats your transformer specs (turns on primary, secondary, core size and composition) and what are you trying to have it do? (primary voltage/current and secondary voltage/current)

I have some experience with making torroidal transformers as I had to design one for a project at school to build a stepup switching DC/DC.