Inquiry on banning logic

Little Ghostman, you are too young to hold grudges.

They will do more harm to you than anyone else so

Let it go!

:)

First, Thank you Geo.

I hold no grudges, I think one the points I tried to make was I dont hold a grudge.
I do however exercise caution, and WHEN DM reincarnates I shall exercise that caution and keep away. My involvement last time was based around the wish to inform of his disruptive style.
The mods both here and at ETO are now fully aware of what may become should he appear, I am completely at ease with this. They dealt with it and I am sure next time they will do it again if it's needed, I and others have no need in future to alert anyone about him.
I would hate for people to think I am the type to hold grudges because its far from the truth. In his case I would cross the road because that is the safe option, no one else really gets to me. I do sometimes add a smidge of acid to my humor but thats just my way ;).
I normally just ignore idiots, in case I become one.
LG

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
LG, I wish I was as smart as you! You have much more wisdom than I and I'm 66yrs old. I may also suffer from asperger's, they just didn't know about when I was young. I've always been over protective of people and things I feel strongly about.

If the ETO thing hadn't happened so close to him coming here, I wouldn't have been so worked up when he came here. But it was so fresh and he had so many people not knowing him and his methods, I had to speak out, even if too much/loud. I'll be better next time, and you know as well as me there will be a next time. :)

Glad GM is letting you post again. You are a real boon to this or any site.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
As said before dexter did not bother me much. But still how about we close this thread and let it sink to the bottom of the forum pit so we can forget all about this person. Let bygones be bygones.

Last edited:
As said before dexter did not bother me much. But still how about we close this thread and let it sink to the bottom of the forum pit so we can forget all about this person. Let bygones be bygones.

Good idea.

SHORTBUS
Thanks for the comments, like I said, next time will be one we watch with the popcorn :D

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hi LG, welcome back!

Like you I also have some strong disagreements with the mods' opinions. For the most part I think they're spot on, and I admire them greatly. They do great work at keeping this forum clean, and they are often much quicker at it than the moderators (including myself) are at ETO. I do not, however, agree for the most part about the whole "clean slate" philosophy. If you ask me, once a person has been perma-banned, they have lost the privilege of posting here. They had their chance (several, actually) and continued ignoring the warnings. Once they're kicked out, I do not think they should ever be allowed back. Ever. Furthermore, there are some major loopholes in the current mods' interpretations of the rules. For example, I used to have to deal with a troll over at ETO who was very cocky, rude, disruptive, and would never listen to authority. His attitude and inappropriate actions and posts eventually led to him being banned. Now, he is a known troll, and he is known to be very abusive. However, he came over to AAC and immediately started abusing people privately through PMs. Think this would be addressed by the moderation staff? You would be wrong. They turned a blind eye. So what message does this send across? Don't abuse members in public, but you're more than welcome to abuse them privately. Does that make sense to you? It doesn't to me.

Like you said, we have to accept things the way they are, but we do not have to agree. This is one thing I firmly disagree with and I will not back down from my point of view. I think this member should be dealt with the same way he would be if he did these things in a public forum.

That's my mini-rant for tonight. Once again, to the moderators here--I see you all as friends. You do a great job and I admire all your hard work. I just wish you would rethink a few things regarding the rules that are in place, and how they should be enforced.

Kind regards,
Matt

Welcome back Little Ghostman. :)

Thank you :D.

As for pm's, I would just get rid of them, or maybe get the software to stop people on your ignore list pm ing you.
Should a ban for life be a ban for life?
That would depend, what if someone comes back with a better attitude and dosnt cause a problem? It can happen, not much I would think, but now and then. I think if they had a new name and an attitude so different that no one new it was them, then sure why not?
If they came back with only there name changed then I would think, I would hope! That the mods would be swift and decisive. Like has been pointed out, this is not a democracy, its more like being invited into someones personal club, they set it up,they pay for it (to start with at least) and they run it. Should that give them full control on who is or is not here? Yes I think so, if they do it wrong then like many many other forums they will go, a forum only lasts as long as it has active members, once the activity goes the forum becomes a simple web page.
This is where the conflict is, active members know they are one of the reason's the forum is a forum and not a webpage, they think/wish this gives them some say on how things are run. To a certain degree a good forum Admin will take on board the overall opinion of key members, but you have to be careful, make it too obvious that majority rule has set in and your done for, time after time people will want this changed or that changed. Before long you get chaos and the forum becomes non directional, it no longer reflects the person behind it or the key members, instead it becomes grey.
How do I know this?
As I grew up my dad run one of the Internets biggest forums there has ever been, the topic was Aquariums and such like, from that was born a large aquatic business which in the end had 12 high street shops, I am not allowed to tell you the name, but they were big in the end and the first ever to offer mail order at rock bottom price.
The forum become huge, it had paid staff apparently and eventually around 6 years ago my dad sold it (actually its probably closer to 7 or 8).
A new company took it over, there was a massive kick back from alot of members, online sales dropped and the forum started to shrink.
Inside two years it was gone. The shops remain but were sold on, the business is still around but has never grown much. So from 12 shops to 4 remaining, no forum still active.
So forums are just that way, it dosnt take much to make them disappear, I think dad once said to the guy that brought the company off him " run it by instinct not committee", but they were a big pet shop chain and tried to run it like the members were unwelcome customers, then they swung too far the other way.
So I think what I am trying to say is, a forum has to reflect the person/person's that run and own it, it has to look like it's fair but it has to be run like it isnt.
LG