Inquiry on banning logic

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Look, you are not going to overrule the moderators. The question was why would someone put 3 caps in parallel, extremely basic.

I am going to start moderating posts I feel are attacks or off topic, both from Dexter or anyone else.

Did you see the schematic in question? It was as generic as it could get. So I have to conclude that this is indeed a personal attack.

When we actually get aircraft questions we will address them, otherwise knock it off.

This site is not here about drama, if you don't like someone then don't follow them around posting snide remarks. If you do see something use the
in the corner to report it, but do not post in the thread!

For the record, here are the posts.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=96613&page=3

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Quite seldom we see a member unable to make use of the help and wisdom offered by other members. No matter the attempts made. I will not dwell about why. But they are a lost cause, and a waste of other members time. Just let their threads sink down the bottomless pit of time. Instead of being drawn to Dexter like a moth to a flame. Let us just buzz away.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Quite seldom we see a member unable to make use of the help and wisdom offered by other members. No matter the attempts made. I will not dwell about why. But they are a lost cause, and a waste of other members time. Just let their threads sink down the bottomless pit of time. Instead of being drawn to Dexter like a moth to a flame. Let us just buzz away.
This is all and good, but now three of the mods are now answering his questions directly. I hate to bring it up yet again, but this is a total repeat of the mess at ETO, staring dexter/billy. ETO has since gone from a viable forum like AAC to getting only 10 - 20 hits a day.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A forum is only as good as its contributing members.
Save your time, energy and knowledge for something more worthwhile than posting about a single member's posting habits.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
This is all and good, but now three of the mods are now answering his questions directly. I hate to bring it up yet again, but this is a total repeat of the mess at ETO, staring dexter/billy. ETO has since gone from a viable forum like AAC to getting only 10 - 20 hits a day.
Shortbus let this whole thing just go. It is not worth spending time or energy on it. If Bill and Chips choose to help Dexter. So is that their privilege. Like it is yours to stay out of it. I understand why you are upset. And you are free to PM me to discuss this any time.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
As Bill said, we don't punish one for beign obnoxious. Period.
This stems from the fact that one being obnoxious is purely a subjective call.

I liked the example BillM brought, based on real life. I'll give a couple more.
Let's say that I'm a policeman, doing my rounds on the streets of a small town.
There's a citizen who has the bad habit of picking his nose in public, without hiding at all and then playing with the boogey. This action is definitely repulsive, obnoxious and discouraged in public. The other people know of that bad habit and have asked the citizen to stop it. He doesn't comply and eventually gets alienated from the rest of the group, who, angry about this antisocial behaviour, ask me to take action.
Actually Police have had to deal with this social problem and do it well. When a member of the public is acting in a way that causes problems for other people they can be charged with "public nuisance" or "creating a public disturbance".

That covers all situations where the perpetrator is not specifically committing any crime, but is deliberately acting in a way that causes problems for society.

I think the moderators have failed here. A good young member who truly loves electronics and who represents the future generations that we really want here on the forum has been banned. And a troll who is here only to cause trouble, who consistently and repeatedly posts in the most infuriating ways with sideways diagrams, inane repetitive "but why?" questions, refusing to work with the people who try to help him etc has been allowed to continue in his quest for attention and making trouble.

The moderators really need a new rule in the Terms Of Service; "public nuisance" or "public trolling". So they can ban members who continue to act in a way that deliberately causes hassle, frustration and infuration to other members.

One defining factor is the troll's repeated refusal to follow suggestions that enable people to help him. So if people keep suggesting that he read this link, or posts a schematic, or turns his diagrams the right way up and he continually refuses to do those things that help others help him, then it is obvious his primary intent is to infurate, not to get help. The moderators could give a couple of warnings that he needs to stop being a public nuisance, and if that fails then ban him.

I've proposed the new law. Someone needs to pass the new law, then the mods need to carry it out.

Otherwise this forum turns into an anarchy run by the biggest troublemakers, and more good people will leave or get banned. You can't allow the worst inmates to run the whole asylum. Every country on this planet has laws covering public nuisance... For very good reason.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Agreed RG!! In witnessing his movement through other forums, under many names, the ONLY thing he has learned or is willing to learn, is how to "play" the different forum TOS.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
There have been some trolls who got to me, but they were the ones who posted in threads they didn't start. The ones who just start their own threads are completely dependent on responders to get their jollies. I simply don't play.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I agree, and I've been avoiding his threads too.

But ignoring the con man standing outside your apartment block doesn't stop him harassing other people.

The troublemaker still gets enough victims to make it worth his time continuing with it.

Then good people trying to warn and protect the innocent victims get dragged into it and become his victims too. :(

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Except to cure strange diseases / overcome natural disasters, simple is usually the best.

Kindly suggested to all members:

Rich (BB code):
Procedure

Locate any post by the member you are sick of.

Click on his name.

Click on View Public Profile

Click on User Lists.

Click on Add to Ignore List.

Click on Yes.

GOTO Procedure       ;repeat as necessary (until you exhaust your list).

END                           ;Now you can breath deep and relax.
Life is too short. Beloved ones, girlfriends and time are the assets you do not recover nor replace.

I (stress in I) am who wastes my time.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
This post is an announcement of the permanent ban of user DexterMccoy.
The user was banned for posting aircraft schematics multiple times, against moderator instructions.
A secondary, and not sufficient, reason for banning the user was his lack of cooperation with the general AAC userbase, in regards to the questions he was making.

Additionally, the moderating team wishes to express an apology towards AAC members, regarding the manner in which this situation was handled. We may have used more direct or efficient methods, but we did the best we could, keeping the best of the forum as a first priority.

Personally and finally, I'd like to express my disappointment for some of our users, who, in view of an obviously disruptive new member who was sure to be removed eventually, bloated the matter out of proportions, making things much worse than should have been.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I'm one of the one's Geo mentioned. But for some reason, I don't feel too bad about trying to warn members and mods alike about him. While I have the up most respect for the mods, I still don't understand why in the days of the internet, when you can find out so much about some one and there bad behavior, there has to be a "waiting" period.

And due to his modus operandi, when he comes back under a new name, and he will try, is there going to be another "wait and see"?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I'm one of the one's Geo mentioned. But for some reason, I don't feel too bad about trying to warn members and mods alike about him. While I have the up most respect for the mods, I still don't understand why in the days of the internet, when you can find out so much about some one and there bad behavior, there has to be a "waiting" period.

And due to his modus operandi, when he comes back under a new name, and he will try, is there going to be another "wait and see"?
There where more people than you, but I had you in mind as well, yes.

The waiting thing is like what what superheroes do. You know, not killing but putting the villain in jail, even tough they break out eventually.

It's about doing it the right way, not the easy way.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
People are not banned because of what they did somewhere else or whether a mob wants them gone, they are banned on AAC for their behavior while here. They start with a clean slate, no matter how much other people don't like the concept.

I will be frank, your behavior was over the top. You were stirring every bit as much as Dexter, because you did not like him personally and were trying to force the moderators into an action you wanted and demanded. He is gone, but how you handled him is a part of the permanent record, both in the site and in my memory. If you and others had just ignored him (and used our reporting mechanism) he would have nailed himself soon enough. If ignored, he might have left under his own power, but people kept feeding the troll.

Dexter did a good job of taking care of himself, he did not need help. I did ban several people because they could not get their heads around the no flaming rule, and showed no self restraint. They posted in his threads even after they were told not to. Their bans, unlike Dexter's, are temporary, but I doubt they will be back.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
It's OK, cops never like vigilantes trying to make the world a better place. They make the cop's life more difficult.

But that does not mean the vigilantes did anything wrong. ;)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
What I find really frightening is that someone working with aircraft electronics needs to come to AAC to ask such basic questions. I would hope that a person in that field should be here teaching rather than leaning.

I can only hope that Dexter was just a manager, financial person or similar trying to better understand what goes on in his department from a technical level. I just hope that there aren't similar minded techs out there working on such highly complex and critical equipment.

My own skills are weak at best for being so long away from the electronics industry. But even in my best days I am not sure I would want to take the responsibility for repairing equipment that involves the safety of others.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
My only disappointment is that the forum logic still shows threads started by members on our ignore list. Knowing the history of the forum, I do not expect that to change. However, even by ignoring a member, their posts still "cluttered" up my enjoyment of the forum. This particular member was like a pre-schooler, continuously asking "but why Mommy?", contributing little to the dialog which otherwise characterizes AAC.

I am not a fan of more and more rules, preferring to work within a stable framework. But the idea of a public nuisance was attractive, even if for a short time only.