Inquiry on banning logic

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by shortbus, Apr 11, 2014.

1. shortbus

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Bill, you and the other mods lecture about "my" civility, but never mention Dexter's civility!!! And as far as using the 'ignore feature', the only good thing to come from all of his posts is the things I'm learning from the members TRYING to help him. Until they figure out he is a lost cause.

As a good example of his 'civility' the sideways and upside down schematics are a good example. And as LG mentioned, he is still using the same schematics shots that he got one of the bans for. If they were good/bad enough for one ban, why are they allowed again?

I have nothing really personal toward him, but why is one member allowed to upset so many? Just asking. I realize we all have different ways, styles of posting and asking questions, but if he doesn't want to learn electronics he could at least learn a better, more conventional style of posting.

DerStrom8 and Little Ghostman like this.
  2. profbuxton

Feb 21, 2014
    Gentlemen, you are getting sucked in again to this person inanities. I wouldn't let him change the batteries in my torch. But I do find his questions sometimes tickle my funny bone at not only his lack of knowledge but his seeming refusal to understand the responses he gets.

3. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I have mentioned before that we do not want to enfore lower bounds for neither smarts, nor effort onto our membership.
    On the contrary, we do enforce civility and good manners.

This is why every lazy university student is allowed to plea for a quick answer during his test, whereas an ill-meant comment draws flak.

Now, what upsets you is defined by your personal standards. In that aspect, personally and honestly, I am almost never upset by a post in AAC. Personal standards are not a good way to judge posts. On the contrary, the ToS is and we moderate by them.

On whether the schematics of the posts are the same as the banned ones, I cannot be sure. If another mod is sure, he has the power to take action. If any other member is sure, all he can do is report them with a good reason.

4. Little Ghostman

Jan 1, 2014
    I have yet to see a single thank you from him, yet we are told to be civil.
    Yeah ETO all over again!
    I am not hanging around for this I know how it ends.
    Thanks for the help guy's, but I came here to get away from him. Not watch mods stand by while as pointed out he posts the same drawings he was banned for. you say your not sure there the same, have you even asked?
    He only posts for help about his work, he works with airplane parts, this we know for a fact. So if he asks a question..............
    Anyway said what I wanted. see you shortbus ;) hang in there.

Go ahead ban me again, the longer you let this go on the more damage your causing, as others have said this is ETO all over again, mods frantically looking in the rule book to see if they can shoot the troll, but no there isnt a rule that fits, however there are rules that prevent people telling it as it is, so we will use those rules on them.
    History is a good teacher, for those of us that have witnessed this before we know what happens next!
    The troll is dead!! LONG LIVE THE TROLL

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    shortbus likes this.
  5. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    The site can not ban members for asking dumb questions. The member in questions is asking questions like a 12 year kid but I am sure he is a grownup person, but he may be as mature as 12 year old kid. But what do we do the day a real 12 year old kid become a member and start to ask all kind of questions. I would be very sad/mad if someone started to pick on the latter member. It is like watching a bad show on TV. Instead of wind your self up on how bad this show is just change channel and watch something you find worth using time on.

6. Little Ghostman

Jan 1, 2014
    He is not like a 12 year old kid! I am a 13 year old kid. He has shown he is a grown man working in a techs job. Its easy to tell the difference, besides it isnt the asking of dumb questions, its the fact he ignores the answers and refuses to even google what is suggested. I ask stupid questions alot, but I always try and google as well, I listen to what I am told and then if I dont understand I state why I am confused.
    He asks questions that have been answered, or often he will ask a question for the sake of it.
    You have helped me and I appreciate that, but please dont confuse him with a 12 year old kid, us kids at least try and help ourselves.
    Mostly we ask stupid questions because we have used the wrong term in google, I get the feeling he is banned from google

shortbus and THE_RB like this.
  7. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Time to drop it little dude. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Take a pill and move on with your life. If you want a real good on-line education in electronics, follow AudioGuru on ETO and really work through his answers on filters, op-amp circuits and power supplies.

GM11 likes this.
  8. GM11

Sep 8, 2013
    For reason I dont want to go into on a open forum, LG is unable to let it go.
    I see the same logic as you do however he unfortunately will never be able to see things the way we do. He has a form of Aspergers Sydrome that means he has a considerably high IQ, but he isnt wired like we are.
    He has a kind on in built code/system his life is run by, like many with his condition they do not do well in social situations.
    If he see's what appears to be an injustice being done then there is no turning back, as a father it's hard for me to watch but he has to learn his own path.
    He is banned now so it's over with, probably best in the long run and hopefuly Dexter will stay here. LG will settle somewhere else and with luck Dexter wont show up there.
    Actually he has found a forum on a certain chip manufactures site (NOT MICROCHIP!), he is doing well there but its not really electronics in general, mainly they just deal with there micro's but he is learning a great deal about the ARM Cortex chips there.
    All in all this is probably for the best all round, but I do hope the mods keep Dexter here and away from the rest of the web!

9. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    My son has a similar issue with injustice and occasionally needs a reminder (sometimes more directly than others - he doesn't usually understand subtitle hints). I like your little dude and I always enjoy his banter. I didn't mean more by it than trying to remind him not to obsess. I am sure he will develop something great to entertain me besides his posts here on AAC.

GM11 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Sorry about that. I had to go through that struggle, too. Not Aspergers, just the urge to keep the standards of the site up. I had to seriously slap myself until I understood that it's not my job.

shortbus and GM11 like this.
  11. GM11

Sep 8, 2013

He wont take offense at anything you have said, it is actually very hard to get to him unless you know what buttons to press.
    He is hopeless in social settings and has no concept of losing a battle to win the war. He was excluded from School once because he approached the head teacher in assembly and told him off for giving a whole class detention because of the actions of one person. It did not go down to well!
    Even on reflection he cant understand why he was wrong to do it. So for now he is going to be kept away from here, no point in him destroying his reputation over this and he wont drop it.
    Once his ban is up I will when I can sit with him if he posts. But I dont get much time, hopefully someone will over step the mark at some point and action can be taken.
    I expect at the moment there is much frustration behind the scenes, but when you have to be seen to be fair it often looks like your not!
    I would not do another MOD JOB unless I was paid enough to compensate me for the agro!
    GM11

GopherT likes this.
  12. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    You have a remarkable son in LG and I am delighted to see him here.
    I suspect that DM also has a disability problem which results in his behavior.
    If there is a mechanism or procedure for LG to ignore DM's posts we can lift LG's ban.

13. GM11

Sep 8, 2013
    Thanks Mr Chips I have emailed one of the MOD's with information, all I can do is let LG on when I am about, and maybe keep him to the maths forum for now. I expect what information I gave will be shared with you, all is not always what it seem's.
    It is difficult explaining to someone with a IQ over 165 that was he thinks he right is actually wrong! It isnt his fault, he simply cant process what is going on. So for now I would leave the ban on, and when I am with him I will let him post in the maths forum, he is looking for help with some maths (his one weak area).
    Thanks to everyone for understanding, he is a great kid but dosnt posses the ability to walk away from a bad situation. Plus he is nearly 14 so we have the whole teenage thing going on as well! And I wonder sometimes where all the grey hair came from lol

14. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    The discussion on who-said/did-what is not for this thread.
    This thread is primarily dedicated on the question of the first post. If you really want to have this discussion, we can move it in Offtopic or Feedback.

I don't want to mute posts, it's work which we can avoid.

15. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I know of the two who I would rather dialog with! :rolleyes:
    Max.

16. hexreader

Apr 16, 2011
    Couldn't agree more :)

@mods

Why are you giving grief to, and banning the good people who make the forum a great place, instead of dealing with the disruptive kid at the back of the class who is ruining this forum and contributing nothing?

ETO all over again.... (gasp)

EDIT: in view of Georacer's following post, I feel the need to point out that the above is only my own view gained without knowing all the facts. I apologise for giving the impression that it represents any kind of majority view. I would hate to give that impression and regret that I did.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    shortbus and THE_RB like this.
  17. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Permanent bans are rarely without warning.

The most common reason for a ban, other than spamming, is
    A. Disobeying moderator orders on post content (automotive etc)
    B. Being rude and aggressive against other members.

However, always keep in mind that this post is merely and informative reply to you, hexreader. The decisions of the moderating team are not affected by the desires of the userbase. As Bill Marsden likes to say "this is not a democracy".

And one last thing. Just because you have an opinion, don't rush to the conclusion that the majority of the other users must have the same opinion as you.

hexreader likes this.
  18. hexreader

Apr 16, 2011
    Sorry Georacer,

Especially for attacking the moderators....

You guys do a great job and I owe you a great debt. I should trust you far more.

You have had the patience to correct me before and show further patience by taking the time to create this thread from the bad one, rather than just closing the original thread.

I guess I got over-emotional at LG being banned.

I have edited my earlier post in an attempt to correct the assumptions I made.

19. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    It's ok, hexreader. We all have our bad days now and then. Don't feel bad about it.

hexreader likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I have been amazed at the wisdom of the moderators in the past, but this is not the thread I was amazed about. The best idea I can come up with is similar to jury nullification. When the judge (moderators) can not find justice with the laws they have to work with, we, the people, can over rule the law by refusing to convict a person of an unjust law or invoke a law that is not written by simply not feeding the troll.

Just shut up and let this one wither from lack of attention.

You already know he isn't going to learn, no matter how hard or how many times you try.
    You know he isn't going to clarify his circuits or his needs.
    You know that any answer just gets another question about something even more basic than the first question, or an infinite series of, "why" that resembles a 4 year old.

Just shut up!

PackratKing, gerty and djsfantasi like this.