input power for LED driver (AC)

denno

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Hey all,

I have bought some 1W star LED's from eBay, and have also got an LED driver to power them. The driver is the right match for the LED's, but my question is about supplying the AC to the input of the driver. The specs for the LED driver are as follows:

Model: KE-LED 5 x 1W
IN: AC85-AC265V 50/60Hz
OUT: 15-17.5V

I have 5 ~3V 1W LED's that I will powering using the driver, if that's of any concern.

What I would like to know is, can I just cut up an extension chord, solder the wires to the bare wire input for the driver, and then plug that into the power outlet in my home? Or is there something else I should add?
Also, to add an on/off switch, should I do that on the AC side, before the power gets into the driver, or on the DC side, after the power has passed through the driver? (I'm thinking AC side, so that power isn't going into the driver and going no where, but I just want to make sure).

If any of this doesn't make sense please let me know and I'll try to make it more understandable :D.

Thanks,
Denno

P.S. I'm an Aussie so I'm running 240V/50Hz in my home :).

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Looks to me like you have it figured out. Just don't do anything dangerous like using self-unraveling tape or hiding it under a rug where it will surely overheat.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
It's designed to go inside a lamp housing in the same manner that a fluorescent ballast is, so for safety the connections are all enclosed.