Input offset current calculation

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Because you have almost equal input resistances on both inputs (1M, the parallel combination of the 100K-100R is negligible) the output voltage equals

Vo=Iio*R2

This is derived after analysis of the circuit.

mentaaal

Joined Oct 17, 2005
Yup your right RonH just a mistake of drawing it in a hurry to show you guys. Thanks Mik3, though i dont see how you get the final result, if you have a few minutes could you show me how you arrived at it?

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I will try but ti find it analyze the circuit without the 1M resistors to find the voltage due to bias current of each input. Then substitute the bias current of each input with the average input bias current plus/minus the offset current. Then you will see that if the non inverting input had a resistor with a value of the parallel combination of the feedback resistor and the resistor on the inverting input, the output will depend only on the offset voltage times the feedback resistor.

mentaaal

Joined Oct 17, 2005
Check this out...

EDIT: This does not include amplifier offset voltage.
RonH are you aware that you are a superstar?! As a second year engineering student I hang my head in shame at how easy you made that look!

Thanks very much for going to the trouble, I really appreciate it, especially after my teacher confusing me today!

And thank you Mike for explaining it to me as well.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I disagree.

Ronh, I think you have calculated Ibp and not Ioff.

Ioff should equal [Vo/(10^9)]-Ibn
Did you actually look at how the equation was derived?
I ran a simulation and verified it before my previous post.

Last edited:

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
You're right. I forgot to account for Ibn flowing through R2. The error is generally miniscule, but it's an error nonetheless. I will edit the annotated schematic.

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
You're right. I forgot to account for Ibn flowing through R2. The error is generally miniscule, but it's an error nonetheless. I will edit the annotated schematic.
Isn't there another tiny error?

Your 5th equation down is:

Vout = (Vx/100 - Ibn)*100k

Shouldn't this be:

Vout-Vx = (Vx/100 - Ibn)*100k

because the current in R2 is (Vx-Vout)/100k, not -Vout/100k

This leads to a slight change in your equation 8, which becomes:

Vout = 1.001e9*Ioffset - 1e5*Ibn

Last edited:

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Isn't there another tiny error?

Your 5th equation down is:

Vout = (Vx/100 - Ibn)*100k

Shouldn't this be:

Vout-Vx = (Vx/100 - Ibn)*100k

because the current in R2 is (Vx-Vout)/100k, not -Vout/100k

This leads to a slight change in your equation 8, which becomes:

Vout = 1.001e9*Ioffset - 1e5*Ibn
You are correct, of course. I went back and looked at my attachment and was stunned to see it was not what I thought I had posted. It is corrected now, I hope.:eek: