Initial PicKit2 Debug Express First Impression

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by wannaBinventor, May 26, 2010.

1. wannaBinventor

Thread Starter Member

Apr 8, 2010
    TERRIBLE!

I put in the CD that said "Enter This CD First," or whatever it said. That's about as far as I got before I ran into problems. I already had MPLAB so I didn't install that from the CD. I did, however, try to intall the PICKIT 2 Programmer software. Something.msi was not found. I had to DL it from the MicroChip website, not really knowing if I got what I needed. The same thing happened with the free lessons file.

I found the 44pin demo board guide, and it told me how to get to the lessons. I thought I'd give it a go and make sure everything was working.

What do you know - another error: PICF887.INC has a FILE NOT FOUND ERROR.

Have I just gotten a bad unit/software copy, or are Microchip's products generally this user unfriendly?

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Where did you get the PICKIT and software?

Directly from Microchip or from a reseller or ebay?

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I think you originally installed MPLAB in a different location than you installed the current software.

If not, you may have tried installing software that was not fully compatible with a prior release.

It would be best to uninstall everything, and then re-install everything using the supplied defaults. Unless you do so, there is no baseline to reference from.

Almost everyone who gets one of these kits just selects the default installation options for everything - and they generally don't have problems.

However, you might have found a "bug" in the installation process. You may wish to report this to MicroChip. In the meantime, to fix your problem try uninstalling and reinstalling all of the modules used.

4. S_lannan

Jun 20, 2007
    I've heard nothing but praise for the PICKIT 2. Perhaps you're running an operating system that wasn't around when the original software cd was mastered.

5. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    I have a non English windows version. And I get the same "error" in the project window. But you can ignore this error. Because in your code you also have included the #include <p16F887.inc> statement. Then building the project. MPLAB will look for this file relative to the path MPLAB was started in. Then you first build your project. A dialog box will pop up. Read this and select the MPLAB IDE option. Then all files will be found. Then you end the project will be saved. And you will not see this pop up again.
    Ps. Then working with MPLAB always use a project. Use the Project Wizard under project in the toolbar

6. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    First off, what OS do you have (XP SP3 or later would be good)? What Version of MPLAB did you have installed (it should have been 8.14)? The *.msi file is a windows installation file, you should already have the updated version on your PC unless you are running windows98 or XP SP1...

B. Morse

7. wannaBinventor

Thread Starter Member

Apr 8, 2010
    I just realized that my post title reads "initial first impression." That sounds silly, sorry about that.

Thanks to everyone for the replies/help.

I didn't get it direct from MicroChip - I got it from Newark.

As far as the errors on installation - I don't know why. The way the files were titled (the .msi files), it seems like they should have been included on the CD. In other words, I don't think it was a Windows issue. I think it was an issue of necessary files not being included on the CD.

As far as the PICF887 FILE NOT FOUND error: I came to figure out that MPLAB gets installed to "C:/programfiles(x86)," which is for 32 bit applications. I re-installed a couple of times and noticed that it installs there without asking the user (that's me) where I wanted to put it. So, it ends up in "program files(x86)," but MPLAB looks for the header files in just plain old "C:/program files." Hence, MPLAB can't find the file and it causes the build to fail. I'm on Windows 7 and am running MPLAB v8.50 - the latest version I found on MC's website so you would think it would work past this issue.

The good news is that I have it working now, but I was quite displeased with the effort it took the get it working properly. It seemed like there were just too many quirky things going on for it to be a user error or an issue with my comp. One would think that the latest version of MPLAB would be prepared to interface with Win7 and 64 bit processors.

8. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    the MSI files are part of windows installer, so Microchip will not include that on their CD, since Microsoft likes to change things all the time, it is best to let the user download the latest version of the installer.

B. Morse

9. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    One might also imagine that MS would not create successive OS's that are made to force users to replace hardware and software, as if the OS is more significant than the useful applications.

10. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Microchip is known for their crappy CD's but not crappy programmers. Actually the PK2 is known as the greatest programmer ever. I would recommend removing all your mplab stuff. Then download the newest 8.5x version and install it from scratch. Then proceed. Keep note of where everything is installing. NEVER use the MC cd's though, they suck, can't read half of them, and the other half have the wrong files on them. Always download em. :)

11. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Oh yes! I remember the days then the only decent "low cost" PIC programmer was the expensive PICSTART Plus unit. Or some shaky home made RS232 programmer working now and then

12. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    I don't understand why windows can't retain compatibility with drivers for previous editions. If I wanted to use Vista I would have to throw away a decent Canon scanner, my printer and my webcam. They are all USB and I have the XP drivers - it shouldn't be that tricky to make it work. The linux people manage it and they don't have the billions that Microsoft do.

13. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Because they are not Apple. :) Really though its true. MS supports almost any hardware made. Naturally to make this happen you will have bugs and compatability issues. Not to say they couldn't spend the extra $ on overtime to fix it. But it may not be worth it to be cost effective. Where Apple went the exact opposite way. They only support a couple MB's and other hardware components. By doing this and limiting the hardware your using you can easily make it all compatible. In 1 year Windows has to run on about 1000 different motherboards, and 1,000,000's of different combinations. Apple hasn't used 1000 motherboards in their existance.