Hello everyone,

While using IR LED & an IR reciever how can we determine
the range by using phisically both the devices ,i want the range
of minimum 10 metre but it gives only 1 metre when i checked it by
simply given the frequency between 30K to 40KHz to the IR lED &
power to the reciever.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
It sounds like you will need to do at least a couple of things to increase the range. You need to up the intensity of the IR LED transmitter and also increase the sensitivity of the receiver.

How about posting the schematic of your circuit so that we can see for ourselves where the circuit can be improved.

hgmjr

asimraufawan

Joined Jul 4, 2008
i will provide the schematic later but for now at the tramitter side
i add the switch circuit by including the transistor but how could i improve the
sensitivity of the reciever as it is a three terminal device eith VSS GND & output pin
the output of the reciever is sent to 555 monostable circuit when the reciever
recieves the data the led blinks.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
If the reciever is the fully integrated type, then there is nothing you can do electrically to improve it. The rest of the improvements must be done optically. So, increasing the power of the emitter, decreasing the emission angle, using a lens to focus the light on to the reciever.

Steve

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
i will provide the schematic later but for now at the tramitter side
i add the switch circuit by including the transistor but how could i improve the
sensitivity of the reciever as it is a three terminal device eith VSS GND & output pin
the output of the reciever is sent to 555 monostable circuit when the reciever
recieves the data the led blinks.
asimraufawan,

Scuabasteve_911 has a good point.

Can you provide us with a part number for the receiver device so that we can see what its characteristics are?

hgmjr

asimraufawan

Joined Jul 4, 2008
The actual problem that i have faced too is that there is no
part number printed on the reciever device i bought it from
a local radio store i assumed some of the characteristics from
the vishay recievers .

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
You cannot design anything properly without specifications, otherwise you're just tinkering until it works. Sometimes it is a quick and dirty route that works, other times, you end up making wildly foolish decisions based upon no data.

Steve

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
The actual problem that i have faced too is that there is no
part number printed on the reciever device i bought it from
a local radio store i assumed some of the characteristics from
the vishay recievers .
You would be far better off if you would set the IR emitter and IR receiver aside and obtain a new receiver and a new emitter for which you can find a datasheet.

It is confusing enough to design with any component for the first time without compounding the effort by having to guess at the devices operating parameters.

hgmjr

karthik_dm

Joined Oct 16, 2008
Hello everyone,

While using IR LED & an IR reciever how can we determine
the range by using phisically both the devices ,i want the range
of minimum 10 metre but it gives only 1 metre when i checked it by
simply given the frequency between 30K to 40KHz to the IR lED &
power to the reciever.
IR LEDs have a maximum range of around 6 meters only..how ever u can improve the range to 10 meters. i suggest not to design the IR transmitter using the multivibrator like 555 IC. i found them providing lower range. instead use any of the remote modules used for DVDs, TV remotes. open the remote control and remove the PCB.then after short any of the keypad switch of the remote so that the remote starts transmitting IR signal continuously..use TSOP 1738 3-pin IR sensor at reciever end..
i'll post u the circuit later......