infrared LED

mike st

Joined Oct 6, 2012
Hello,

I'm looking for an infrared LED for a Generation 1 Night Vision device. The wavelength is important, it must be at about 805 nanometer, size: 5mm.

Does anyone know where I can buy an LED like that?

I've searched the internet but no results.

Thanks.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
What's a few little nanometers between friends? ;)

Seriously, how critical is the wavelength with your gen1 nightvision tube? I thought they were a general light amp that amplified most wavelengths including moonlight, starlight etc?

mike st

Joined Oct 6, 2012
:D
did you mean "850nm" ?
No, it is 805nm, beleive me! ;). 850 is too high.

What's a few little nanometers between friends? ;)

Seriously, how critical is the wavelength with your gen1 nightvision tube? I thought they were a general light amp that amplified most wavelengths including moonlight, starlight etc?
A difference of 3-4nm (a few little nm as you wrote)... not important but a difference of 50nm... yes, once again, the wavelength is important, I have another IR LED at 850-860 nm and the sensitivity will decrease (noticeably) through a G1 NV device - I did the experiment. G1 NV is less sensitive to IR light than G2 and G3. I own another NV device, a G2 unit (I'm addicted to that kind of thing :eek: :)), I saw the difference in a side by side comparison.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Thank you for the information.

It may not be easy to get an 805nm IR LED. Instead of googling for "805nm IR LED" maybe you could google for "far infrared LED" or something similar? If you find a supplier that has a good range of IR LEDs you might have better chance of finding one close to 805nm.