inexpensive Frequency Generator DDS IC needed

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by bassplayer142, Jul 26, 2010.

1. bassplayer142

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Does anyone know of a good alternative dip chip that I could use to create a function generator with a micro. I'm looking for some kind of through hole package and all the old ones like MAX038 and others are out of date and very very expensive. Thanks

2. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    What's your frequency range?

3. bassplayer142

Jan 2, 2007
    I guess I should have been more specific. I would like to have a good range or maybe 1hz to 1mhz but if you have any ideas of lower then I welcome you to post them anyway. The output voltage and current I will deal with in another external circuit also.

4. tom66

May 9, 2009
    Is through hole critical? You can get a SMD to DIP adapter on eBay for about US$3.

Also, what waveforms? Arbitrary, sine, square, pulse, rectangle, ramp, triangle, etc.?

Investigate using some memory with an external address bus as a DDS. You load the data in and just clock it out. Bytes go in and bytes come out, however fast it will go at. Really, there are very few simpler ways to do this.

5. bassplayer142

Jan 2, 2007
    I'm going with the dip converter method. It never occured to me that something like that existed! :( Thanks a lot though, I found more then enough smd devices for the job.

6. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    When determining the clock speed that you use to clock the DDS, keep in mind that the clocking frequency input to the DDS should be at least ten times the maximum frequency you intend to generate.

hgmjr

7. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    Hey hgmjr,

I haven't had any experience with DDS, why is that so?

Thanks,

Austin

8. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Google and Wikipedia are your friends. They are good places to start, but as President Reagan said "Trust, but verify"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_digital_synthesizer

9. bassplayer142

Jan 2, 2007