industry standard

bradstormer

Joined Aug 6, 2010
hi all,
i am studying the 8051 in college and it got me wondering what would be the standard microcontroller used in industry.
i realise that the 8051 is a good start point but what is everyone really using out there?

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
The 8051 variants can be found in a ton of devices. Many manufacturers employ 'proprietory' devices that are intentionally hidden from identity, and no doubt the 8051 core is hard at work in many of them. Because of cost and ease of use, it's a no brainer for many lighter tasks.

Consider that in industry you will find a variety of complexity from simple smart switches, to complex integration of plant wide equipment and then a bunch more. At the higher level, x86 platforms are in wide use. The ARM cores pack a big punch. There really is no 'standard'. Whatever your lineage is as a developer will make the choice.

There is a caveat however, and is that many 'authorities' have certain requirements in there equipment, and subscribe to preset standards, which depending on who they are, can vary.