Inductor Circuits

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by rwg05, Jan 8, 2008.

1. rwg05

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I understand that in an circuit with only an inductor, neglecting resistance, the applied AC voltage must, at all points in time, be infinitesimally greater and opposite to the induced emf for a steady current.
    My question is - since both the emfs are (almost) equal and opposite - is the net PD in the circuit constant (~0V neglecting resistance)?
    If it is, how is it that the current fluctuates? (i.e. shouldn't flow as a DC with a constant magnitude?)

I know this might be a really simple question...but the teacher who was supposed to teach us chapter this decided not to (because of 'bad attendance').

2. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Are you paying for that information at the school? Obviously your not getting what you paid for; especially if the teacher was stupid enough to state such a poor excuse.

3. rwg05

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    yeah...its quite bad
    Its pretty much the same in all the junior colleges across Bombay though - and I happen to be in one of the best...
    There's been a recent explosion of 'coaching classes' and students tend to trust them more than the colleges they're supposed to be a part of - so they attend these coaching classes and bunk lectures leading to low attendance.
    Now, people like me (around 10-15% of all students), who had enough trust in the colleges we chose (we choose after the tenth - junior college is till the twelfth) and didn't join coaching classes suffer
    Fees isn't much though - its mainly government aided - so thats not much of a problem - I think its around 6USD a year for a normal junior college course...