Inductive power transfer with mini coils (1/8"!!)

zach.s.

Joined Oct 25, 2013
I am learning about induction power transfer and I am wondering how small of a scale I can go and if I can power 1-5 LEDS with a dc battery through concentric inductive coils. The transistor coil would be long and thin (7" L x 1/8" W; like a straw) and the LEDs would have a shorter coil (0.5") with a 1/4" diameter. In essence, the LED coil would slide down the long transistor coil and receive power anywhere along its length.

My questions are:
1) Can a battery supply enough power/voltage/amps to inductively power a 1mm LED?
2) Can the coils be that thin in diameter?
3) Are there capacitors that are small enough to fit on the mini LED circuit?
4) What components would I need to look into and how small can they get?

Thanks!

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
1) Can a battery supply enough power/voltage/amps to inductively power a 1mm LED?
Yes, if there is no size restriction on the battery.
2) Can the coils be that thin in diameter?
You'll need very fine magnet wire, and that could be a problem because of the low current capacity of such fine wire. They make flat magnet "tape" that might be considered for this application.
3) Are there capacitors that are small enough to fit on the mini LED circuit?
Sure, but for what? SMD capacitors are quite small.
4) What components would I need to look into and how small can they get?
Without knowing your goals, it's hard to say. I think you'll struggle mechanically to get enough juice to fire the LED. If you put bumpers on both ends and protect the straw windings with a sheath of some kind, then you can go to town and maybe get enough. Reminds me of those shake flashlights or those obscene shake weights.