Induction and antennas

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by Andy Larson, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Andy Larson

Thread Starter Member

Mar 26, 2015
    i was wondering what would a torus inductor have on an wire antenna. The wire antenna would be going through the inductor. Please do include difference between the core type, and current type (DC or AC) for my use. I have a few inductors (ferrite and ceramic) I was going to use to improve a radio I built from a kit

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    It is a bit hard to picture what you are talking about. Inductors are used in antennas as traps to allow for multiband operation. They would typically be air wound as opposed to torroidal

3. Andy Larson

Thread Starter Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Ok thanks anyway, I was contemplating extracting some toroidal ferrite/ceramic core out of some inductor to provide the cleaner radio

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    I don't quite understand what you are suggesting. Can you elaborate with a picture or drawing?

5. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    What makes you think such an arrangement would improve radio reception? :confused:

6. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    In general, putting an antenna through a toridal ferrite core will make the antenna appear to be electrically longer. There will be other effects, but I cannot predict them.