Inductance with an air gap

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by kender, May 8, 2007.

1. kender

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Colleagues,

I need to make a small-signal inductor with an air gap. The gap will vary from 0 to 1mm. The core material will be stainless steel. What could be the potential pitfalls?

Cheers,
    Nick

2. Johann

Nov 27, 2006
    Stainless steel is, to my knowledge, not a good choice for core material. Why do you want to use stainless steel?

3. kender

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jan 17, 2007
    I’m expecting shorted-turn losses. The inductor is planned to be built on the surface of a thin (few mm) plate of Alloy 49 stainless steel. It’s not the worst stainless alloy from the magnetic standpoint.

I’d be happy to use a ferrite pot core instead of stainless, but that would present at least 2 mechanical challenges:
    - The pot core should be low profile. Well, I could take a taller core and grind it down.
    - The top of the pot core should be coplanar to the surface of the stainless plate. Of course, the pot core could be ground together with the stainless plate. But I don’t have access to good grinding equipment to do this.

At the moment I’d rather deal with magnetic challenges posed by the stainless steel rather than with these mechanical challenges.