inductance meter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by samjesse, Dec 12, 2009.

1. samjesse

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Hi

I was thinking to buy an inductance meter. ebay has many MIC "made in china" ones, are they any good? should I build my own? even if I do, I will be sold MIC parts, so whats the go?

thx

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  3. talking

Dec 10, 2009
    The biggest problem with building your own inductance meter, is calibration.
    At least the bought units are calibrated and when I built my own, I needed a built-up unit to check and calibrate the one I designed.
    You have absolutely no idea if the one you build, is accurate.

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    You can calibrate the PIC versions using 1% capacitors. The LC measurements will be slightly less accurate than the calibration capacitor used. However, unless you spend a boatload of money for a commercial version, it probably won't be a whole lot more accurate.

5. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    You may be able to find a General Radio Q meter (vacuum tube) in working condition by canvassing the second hand electrical parts warehouses; Fair Radio in Lima, Ohio and All Electronics in Oxnard, CA. I talked to the man who used to build these units and he supplied me with an instruction manual for a second-hand unit that we acquired. They also made (canned) standard inductors for calibration purposes.
    Do a thorough search on the internet before you try building anything as a unit may be found almost anywhere.

Cheers, DPW [ Spent years making heaters out of op-amps.]

6. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008

Dear samnjesse:

In the dusty musty dungeon of the electronics storeroom of my A.C. electronics class, I discovered a lovely little box, a Leader LCR 740 resistance/ reactance bridge. It's a surprisingly accurate little feller, and does it all: resistance, capacitance, inductance, Q, D, and ESR (equivalent series resistance).

I've seen these crop up on E-bay for as little as $100.

As suggested above, building a bridge is a very educational and worthy project, but the calibration can be rather tedious. For the price of the LCR 740, you'd be hard pressed to find a better instrument.

Also, keep your eyes peeled for old Heathkit or Boonton Q meters and component bridges. They have an additional "cool" factor beyond the Leader boxes. :)

Eric