indoor navigation system for blind person

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by HIREN DAVE, Sep 24, 2013.

1. HIREN DAVE

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Hello friends,

I want to design a circuit for blind person i.e. indoor building navigation. I found that sometimes it is very difficult to find path in a building to a common location for blind person. GPS can't be used for this purpose. So what technology should i use? How it is possible? Which is low cost solution?

thanks in advance.

2. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    HIREN DAVE likes this.
  3. HIREN DAVE

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 18, 2013
    I got your point. I can do obstacle detection but how can i navigate particular location in building?

4. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    1. If you only using one transmitter/receiver, then you can using it as the battery light, using your hand to detecting the objects in front of you, it could be only using one sound but different amplitude of voice to indicating the objects reflection.

2. If you using two transmitters/receivers, then you could using them seperated to two parts, the higher part from Waist, the lower part below the Waist, you can using two sound in different frequency, one for high one for low, the middle area has two sound mixed, the high part maybe you can make it as a Necklace and put in on the center of chest, and the low part that you could using velcro tape or some other similar stuffs to paste it around the knees.

3. If you want to get the position of reflection more precisely then you can using some more transmitters/receivers, and the methods are similar as discribed above.

5. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Perhaps use pulse-modulated ultrasonic beacons at way-points within the building?

6. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I had a similar idea once, only it was a nav system where GPS could not be used (under water). I never tested this, but if you had an intertial sensor unit and beginning coordinates, you should be able to know your position by integrating the output of the intertial unit. Anyone see a flaw in the idea?

7. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    This is a big challenge unless the building cooperates in some way. Is that a possibility, for the building to provide tone beacons or the like, or is the challenge to navigate in ANY building? That requires knowing the layout of the building and the location of the person in that layout. Pretty tough, despite what you see on TV.

8. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    In my proposal, information about the building would need to be programmed into the device.

9. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    I like Brownout's idea of an accelerometer-based inertial guidance with correction via bluetooth or IR beacons at waypoints.