Individual segments for 7-Segment LED

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by GopherT, Sep 20, 2016.

1. GopherT

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    I have a project that could benefit from the "bars" or individual "segments" used in larger 7-segment displays.

I am hoping those segments are individual plastic light pipes set into the surface of the display package and some number of LEDs lighting each pipe.

My questions:
    1) Has anyone ever tried de-potting a 7-segment display to retrieve the segments?
    - Anything to watch out for or description of how they are assembled?

2) Has anyone ever seen the individual segments for sale?

I DO NOT WISH TO MUDDLE THIS THREAD WITH ALTERNATIVES/HOME BREW SEGMENT FABRICATION - We have discussed a dozen other options and they are all possible - just not as fast and easy and professional looking (hopefully) as the deconstructed 7-segment display.

2. MrSoftware

Oct 29, 2013
    GopherT likes this.
  3. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Can't do it. You can't take parts of the lead frame and the epoxy forming the light pipes is added after the individual LED die are bonded to the lead frame.
    You can buy LEDs in bar shaped packages.

4. GopherT

Nov 23, 2012
    This is really the right direction - now to find the supplier of the segments used in this thing. That is only about $2 per segment - not bad. Originally, we were targeting slightly smaller size (1.25" to 1.75" per segment) but if we have to go this big (about 3" per segment), then we'll have to scale our project.

Thanks for that link.

5. GopherT

Nov 23, 2012
    Do you have a source, Ideally with the pointed ends like in link above.

upload_2016-9-20_11-27-24.png

6. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    No. I've just seen rectangular LEDs. Jameco has them; 10 in a DIP20 package. I know they made individual LEDs because I have some from the late 70's; I thought Jameco used to sell them, along with some other odd shapes like stars and such.

7. upand_at_them

May 15, 2010
    Some LED bulbs for the home have a bunch of LED filaments inside. I saw a recent article in one of my electronics magazines about this. You'll need a higher voltage to run them though.