Increasing sink current?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Razor Concepts, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Razor Concepts

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I have a IC that can sink up to 38ma. I would like to drive higher currents but was wondering how i could do this. Usually I'm accustomed to working with things that source current, so using a darlington array would be standard. But I am unsure of how to do this with sinking current. Thanks

2. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    If darlington array has seperate emitters, use as emitter followers; or use a PNP driven by a NPN transistor

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    A common use for current sinks is electronic loads for power supplies. I'm thinking of going with this...

[​IMG]

4. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    If you ground the emitter of an NPN Darlington (or a normal NPN), and drive the base with a current-limited voltage, the collector will sink current.

5. Razor Concepts

Oct 7, 2008
    I don't understand - the chip can only sink current so how does it drive the base with a current limited voltage?

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Has to do with a transistor being a current controlled device and beta. Ic=ß Ib

I prefer using the emitter resistor myself, with a controlled base voltage.

7. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    If your output can only sink current, you can make it possible to source current for the base of the Darlington (or plain NPN) by adding a pullup resistor to +V.

See attachment.

Note that if your circuit is analog, this won't work.

8. Razor Concepts

Oct 7, 2008
    Thank you, now I understand. I think I'll use a ULN2003A Darlington. Is there a "standard" value pull-up I should use to test things out? Thanks.

9. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    It depends on what your load current is.

What is your driving device - the one that can sink 38mA?