Increasing Curing Time for Strain Gauge Application

xadrix

Joined Mar 4, 2010
Hi all,
I hace a project where i have to decrease curing time for M-Bond AE-10 adhesive.
The adhesive is used to mount a strain gage to a 600mm diameter spindel.
I am planning to use a custom clamp and use a heat gun to increase the temperature..

Any other ideas?

xadrix

Joined Mar 4, 2010
Thanks john. I need to attach the strain gauge to a long spindle where i can´t use an oven therefore i need someting to increase the temperature in the mounting location.. any ideas?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
This sounds like a commercial application, and you probably want reproducibility. Note that the properties of the adhesive vary with the curing and after-cure temperatures.

You might want to consider an electric heating pad or tape like Minco makes. There are several manufacturers. Some versions are temp controlled, or you can add temp control. Consumer versions are used for keeping water pipes from freezing or ice off of roofs. Such heating tapes are probably cheaper than the industrial versions.

http://www.minco.com/

John

jans123

Joined Jan 30, 2010
I doubt that heat wil help you to speed up the process.
I am not familiar with the bond you are using, but most glue for strain gages are based on cyano-acrylate (superglue) and to them you can use a cemical accelerator on the gage -very, very little, it is some kind of catalyst.
But, and that can be a little confusing, the glue reacts at humidity in the air. In the winter some bonds take much longer to react (It is a cemical process. The glue does not simply "dry").
Sometimes it can help to breath on the gage and the object just to ad a little moisture to start or speed up the process.

(Sorry about the language, my native one is Swedish)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The datasheet (see post #2) makes it clear that the adhesive in this case is an epoxy. Its cure rate and after-cure properties are quite dependent on temperature.

John

jans123

Joined Jan 30, 2010
Sorry John, I didn't look at the datasheet. I haven't used epoxi for strain-gages since 1975...
Today I use cyano- based bonds.
/Jan