Increasing AC frequency

scythe

Joined Mar 23, 2009
Hi everyone, I have a simple question. I am building a high-frequency electromagnet and I am not sure how I would increase the AC frequency.

I am planning on plugging the electromagnet into a household outlet (120Vac, 60Hz) and simply want to increase the frequency (so the electromagnet still runs on AC). My question to you all is, how would you take 60Hz AC and up the frequency to, say, 1KHz or higher? Would I have to build some sort of AC oscillator? Is there a simpler way?

Even if you can point me in the right direction, I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Basic stuff here. You have to build an oscillator and give it enough amplifier to supply the electromagnet. You can't just "bend" the frequency of wall outlets.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Since the frequency you want is in the audio range, I'd look for an audio power amp. These are nearly a commodity, so there is little incentive to build your own, IMHO. You can use a frequency generator app on an iPod as a source to give you any frequency or wave shape you like.

scythe

Joined Mar 23, 2009
Since the frequency you want is in the audio range, I'd look for an audio power amp. These are nearly a commodity, so there is little incentive to build your own, IMHO. You can use a frequency generator app on an iPod as a source to give you any frequency or wave shape you like.
Sounds great; no point in re-inventing the wheel. Thank you so very much!