Increase the capacity on Lead Acid batteries

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by kje, Apr 30, 2015.

1. kje

Thread Starter New Member

May 6, 2012
    Hi, I have a few Lead Acid 55Ah 12V batteries holding it's voltage at 12.7V, but I've measured the capacity to about 20Ah. Is there a way to increase the capacity on these batteries?
  2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    simple answer is NO. Now you need to define how you came to the 20 AHr figure. Factory ratings are mostly "total depletion" points, or 11 volts or less under load for 12 volt battery. Discharges around 50%, which are considered normal and not deep discharge, make your 20 Ahr figure close to expected value
    Roderick Young likes this.
  3. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Buy new or larger batteries.

LA battery capacity decreases with time, especially if they are left undercharged, and over discharged, so just buying new ones of the same rating may be sufficient.

If the original batteries are too small, buy ones with more Ah...
  4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    If not sealed make sure the water level is where it should be.

If sealed or the level is fine then buy new ones.
  5. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Its also worth remembering that manufacturers quote the Ah capacity over something like 10 or 20 hour discharge rate.

If you calculate a load to discharge a 55Ah battery in 1 hour - it'll be flat somewhat sooner.
  6. Ancel UnfetteredOne

Jul 3, 2015
    Hhave you attempted to equalize the batteries and at least test the spec. gravity of the cells to see what's happening?
  7. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    To get some extra life out of a battery, you can try this but it only works some times.

Empty the battery, rinse/flush with distilled water, refill with new battery acid (sulfuric acid at correct concentration). Charge.

If there is significant sulfated bridging or thick/hard sections of sulfate, or lead plates that are cracked or other damage, the battery has to be replaced.

If the batteries are new and you just want to increase the capacity of your existing batter, you will not find an improvement for each individual battery. You can add capacity by adding more batteries in parallel.
  8. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Once batteries have lost capacity, dump them, there will be more problems soon, total failure possibly.
  9. BokkieAndijk

Jan 7, 2016
    @GopherT I would like to make a small correction about your post. Please take a look at the next link: It looks like not a good idea to connect batterys parallel. Or am i wrong? Btw, sorry for my poor English.
  10. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    You should use a charge balancing circuit to insure that you do not under-charge one or more batteries in a series-parallel configuration.