Increase Samples (sample rate) by adding sensors

emoney123

Joined Jun 4, 2012
Hello,

My question is regarding sample rate. I have a sensor that has a max sample rate of 150Hz. This sample rate is not sufficient for my application, but I wanted to know is it valid to add a second identical sensor and sample them in series to in tern "double" the samples (sample rate)? Or am I thinking about this incorrectly.
Thanks

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
Hello,

My question is regarding sample rate. I have a sensor that has a max sample rate of 150Hz. This sample rate is not sufficient for my application, but I wanted to know is it valid to add a second identical sensor and sample them in series to in tern "double" the samples (sample rate)? Or am I thinking about this incorrectly.
Thanks
Can you post the sensor's data sheet (or a link to it) and describe what you're trying to do, please?

emoney123

Joined Jun 4, 2012
The sensor is the hmc5883l magnetometer. I can sample up to 160Hz by polling the data ready pin, however I need more like double that sample rate for my application. Would I be able to add a second sensor and sequence them in series to double the number of samples taken over a period of time?
Thanks

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Likely. You'll probably want to "normalize" one of the sensors output data with the other (or calibrate them simultaneously under the same conditions) so that they track each other accurately.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It depends upon why the sample rate is limited to 160Hz.
If it's because the sensor frequency response is limited to about 80Hz, then adding another sensor to double the sample rate likely won't give you any more significant information.