Increase in Earth's gravity

Miss Kelly

Joined Nov 9, 2013
My first thought was that I would definitely avoid getting on the scale. Beyond that, I've never really thought about it. I've read some science fiction stories that involved people genetically engineered for life on high gravity worlds. The people always had denser bones and muscles. It's an interesting question.

Miss Kelly

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
And losing something like twice that to space between hydrogen and helium getting stripped away.
Loss of H and He decreases the earth's total gravity in respect to pull on the moon (or far away objects), but it won't equate the the same effect at the earth's surface because some of that mass of H and He is above us.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Loss of H and He decreases the earth's total gravity in respect to pull on the moon (or far away objects), but it won't equate the the same effect at the earth's surface because some of that mass of H and He is above us.
Your forgetting that the H and He haven't been just sitting up there for a few billion years waiting to drift off. Instead, they are produced predominantly by surface and subsurface processes and released into the atmosphere at which point it doesn't take long for them to bleed off to space. An example would be helium that is trapped in natural gas deposits and is vented as the natural gas is extracted.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
A first pass calculation suggests the earth should collapse under its own weight given the current mass/gravity - try it...

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Your forgetting that the H and He haven't been just sitting up there for a few billion years waiting to drift off. Instead, they are produced predominantly by surface and subsurface processes and released into the atmosphere at which point it doesn't take long for them to bleed off to space. An example would be helium that is trapped in natural gas deposits and is vented as the natural gas is extracted.
Good point. :)