Increase amperage

Status
Not open for further replies.

hans_cellc

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I have replaced my sons motorbikes indicator lights with LED's.
Initially worked well after I have done the front but when doing the back as well they don't work.
I have found out that the indicator relay needs at least 100mA to work and I am now running on +- 80mA.
I connected the original bulb in parallel with the back indicator and it is sorted but if the globe goes the LED's wont work.
Is there something else I could do to increase the amperage to get the relay to kick in?
Attached a picture of the diagram.

Attachments

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Its not clear what relay you are talking about... Per string their are two LEDs in series each drops 3.2V ,so total voltage drop per string is 6.4V and 20mA per string.Their are 4 strings so the total voltage drop of the circuit will be 6.4V and total current for the circuit will be 20mA * 4 = 80mA.

I am now running on +- 80mA
80mA is for the load and its normal ,and I think you are using a digital multimeter to measure the current so you are getting -80mA .Normally any minus current describes sourcing of current for example your battery is sourcing -80mA and your LED circuit is sinking +80mA.

relay needs at least 100mA
If you have proper source then it will be not a problem ,but as I don't know what relay you are talking about I can't say much.A proper circuit diagram will help us to help you.

Good Luck

hans_cellc

Joined Apr 28, 2012
It is a 6V indicator relay. For the contacts to open and close in the relay I need at least 100mA. As you said I am running on 80mA.
I want to increase the amperage to over 100mA.

The voltage is perfect no problem with that.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Actually I didn't read the post properly before posting,I think its a kind of automotive post which are not allowed in AAC.Can't say much on this as its just changing the light into LEDs but may be its not allowed too.Wait for other members,mods or admin to have a look on this.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Hello and welcome to the AAC forums. Unfortunately, as you will read in the Terms of Service of the site, discussions on automotive topics are not allowed, due to safety and liability reasons.

Please understand the reasons behind this action and bear no grudge.
Feel free to tread on the rest of the forums.

You may find answers to your questions in one of the links provided here: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Status
Not open for further replies.