Increase Amperage

Alex5776

Joined May 15, 2011
Hi
I have a solar panel, small one, that is generating about 22 volts and only like 0.03 Amps. I want it to be able to charge my iPhone. Is there a way to decrease the volts and increase amps

iPhone requires 5 Volts, and 1.1 Amps.

I know that is a big step up but somebody has got to know a way.

-Alex

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The wanted current at the output can not be reached.
The input power is 22 X 0.03 = 0.66 Watt.
The output current can be 0.66 / 5 = 0.132 A, when there are no losses in the stepdown converter.

Bertus

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
A practical converter would of course have losses, so the actual current available would be a bit less than 132mA.

85% efficiency would not be unreasonable so you might get about 110mA, or one tenth of what you actually want.

If you really need 1.1A at 5V, you are going to need a very much bigger panel, especially if you want it to work other than in full noon-day sunlight.

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
A solar panel delivers max voltage when it is open circuited so current is 0 and power is 0. It develops max current when short circuited so voltage is 0 and power is 0 once again. Somewhere between the two it develops maximum power.
If you need 5v @ 1.1a @ 85% eff, you'll need at least 6.5 watts from the panel.

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
Read your paperwork carefully. Your iPhone may require 5.5 volts at 1 amp to operate, not to charge the battery. The battery charging requirement could reasonably be less than 1 amp. If you get a larger solar panel, be sure to get also a voltage regulator for the recommended charging voltage for the iPhone, otherwise you will almost certainly ruin the battery within a few days.